UK Court Rejects Brexit Delay Case
A Scottish court on Monday rejected a legal bid to force Boris Johnson to ask for a Brexit delay if he has not struck a deal with the European Union in less than two weeks’ time, saying the British Prime Minister had given assurances he would do so, Reuters reports.
Last month British lawmakers passed legislation, known as the “Benn Act”, which requires Johnson to send a letter to the EU asking for a delay if no divorce agreement has been struck by Oct. 19, to stop what opponents say would be calamitous no-deal Brexit.
With the clock ticking down to Britain’s due departure on Oct. 31, however, Johnson has consistently said he would not ask for a delay and that he would rather be “dead in a ditch” than seek any further extension.
But he has also said he would not break the law, which he has dubbed “the surrender act”, without explaining that apparent contradiction.
- Boris Johnson Insists Britain Will Leave EU by October 31 And the PM has never admitted in public before that he would send a letter to Brussels as the new law would require.
- Brexit: Boris Johnson will Send Extension Letter The so-called Benn Act - named after Labour MP Hilary Benn who spearheaded its passage into law - requires the government to request an extension to the 31 October Brexit deadline if a deal has not been...
- Boris Johnson Has a Plan B for Brexit If the EU Rejects His Deal That idea is not something that the EU is formally considering, but it has been discussed as a potential back-up option, including by the bloc’s power axis of France and Germany, EU officials said earlier...
- Boris Johnson Dares Opposition to Vote no-Confidence in His Government He was defiant and unapologetic as he addressed MPs just hours after returning from the United Nations after parliament was recalled by the speaker, John Bercow, "as a matter of urgency."
- Johnson Flying London to Face MPs as Parliament Resumes MPs will return to the Commons at 11.30am this morning. It comes as a poll found that 50 per cent of voters agreed with the judges’ decision, while only 29 per cent disagreed.
Jane Fonda Arrested During Climate Protest Outside U.S. Capitol
Germany's Merkel Tells Erdogan to Halt Syria Offensive Immediately
Artsakh President Participated at Harvest Day Trade Fair
Artsakh Republic President Bako Sahakyan Held a Meeting With Members of the USA Delegation
Parliamentary Elections Underway in Poland
1 Dead, 50 Injured as Typhoon Hagibis Makes Landfall on Japan's Izu Peninsula
Bako Sahakyan Held a Meeting in Stepanakert With Members of the Delegation From Canada
Turkey Takes Control of Syria's Ras al-Ayn
More Than Six Million People Advised to Evacuate in Japan
Nikol Pashinyan Holds Phone Talks with Vladimir Putin
Euro 2021: Armenia U21 National Team Celebrates Its Frst Victory
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Bako Sahakyan Receives Russia’s State Duma Member Konstantin Zatulin
Roads in Armenia are Passable: Goris-Kapan Roadway will be Closed for Trucks
Bako Sahakyan Held a Meeting with Members of Belgian, Cypriot and Czech Delegation
Artsakh President Meets with Delegation of the Belgian Francophone Regions
The Participants of the Friends of Artsakh Forum, Which Took Place in Stepanakert Adopted a Concluding Declaration
Establishment of Iraq-Artsakh Friendship Group Proposed
We must find a way of dialogue, compromise, mutual trust and respect between our peoples: Pashinyan
Artsakh’s President Received Defense Minister of Armenia
I've Heard about Blood-Thirsty Turks since I Was 11: Cher Reminded about Armenian Genocide and Condemned Ankara’s Operations in Syria
Armenia Marks the 28th Anniversary of Independence
Google Changes Doodle to Mark Armenia’s 28th Anniversary of Independence
ANCA thanks Kim Kardashian for raising Armenia's worldwide recognition
Buckingham Palace ‘Displeased’ by Cameron’s Comments about Seeking Queen’s Help during Scottish Referendum
Strategic Military Exercises to be Held on September 24-October 5, Involving Government Agencies and Local Self-Government Organizations
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
''California Demands Justice for the Murder of 1.5 million Armenians'': California Governor Signs Divestment from Turkish Bonds Act Into Law
Military Rank of Lieutenant-General Conferred to the Artsakh Defense Minister, Commander of the Defense Army
Comment by Foreign Ministry Spokesperson on Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev's Speech at Valdai Discussion Club
Wind: 5 km/h