European Central Bank to Raise Interest Rates for 1st Time in 11 Years
The European Central Bank will raise interest rates for the first time in 11 years in July, followed by another hike in September, AP reports.
The surprise announcement of a two-quarter-point increase came after the bank's Monetary Policy Board met in Amsterdam, saying inflation had become a serious problem.
The ECB did not rule out a more sweeping half-percentage hike in September rather than the more usual quarter-point adjustment, saying that if the inflation outlook holds or worsens, "a larger increase would be appropriate in September."
The US Federal Reserve raised its key rate by half a point on May 4 and maintained the prospect of a significant increase. The Bank of England has approved the increase four times since December.
The prospect of a rapid central bank rate hike has sent stock markets shuddering as higher rates will boost returns on less risky stock alternatives. Rate hikes in Europe are also being complicated by weakening economic growth prospects as the war in Ukraine shocks the global economy.
- Egypt Cancels Contracts for 240,000 T of Stranded Ukrainian Wheat -Sources Egypt's General Authority For Supply Commodities (GASC) has released the trading companies supplying the four unloaded cargoes, Nibulon and Inerco, from their contractual obligations, the two sources said,...
- Iran and Russia Exclude Dollar from Trade Between Countries Noting that the policy of good neighborliness is a priority of Iran's foreign policy, Khandouzi said that Putin's visit to Tehran is in line with the implementation of the agreements reached during President...
- U.S. Imposes Sanctions on 27 Gazprombank Executives, Russian TV Stations "This is not a full block. We're not freezing the assets of Gazprombank or prohibiting any transactions with Gazprombank," a senior Biden administration official told reporters. "What we're signaling is...
- Germany Faces Steep Recession if Russian Oil and Gas Halted, Bank Lobby Says "The situation would be even worse if imports or supplies of Russian oil and natural gas were to be halted. A significant recession in Germany would then be virtually unavoidable," Sewing told journalists.
- G7 Rejects Putin's Demand for Rouble Payment for Russian Gas - Germany "All G7 ministers have agreed that this is a unilateral and clear breach of existing contracts," Habeck, who is German economy and climate protection minister, told reporters after a virtual conference...
It is time for Greece to finally sanction Aliyev: Greek media
Erdogan Expresses Support to Aliyev Regarding Military Aggression Against Karabakh
Artsakh Security Council Secretary Visits Berdzor to Inspect Construction of New Route
French Police Shoot Knife-Wielding Man at Charles de Gaulle Airport
Japan Keeps Finance Minister, Foreign Minister In New Cabinet Line-up
No Major Ceasefire Violations Recorded – Artsakh MoD
Artsakh President Orders Discharge of Partial Mobilization Draftees
PM Pashinyan Sends Congratulatory Message to the President of Ecuador
Referendum on LPR’s Accession to Russia Possible after Liberation of DPR: LPR’s Head
Armenia to Launch Ferry Service from Georgian Poti Port to Russian Kavkaz Port in August
Biden Signs Protocols on Finland’s and Sweden’s Accession to NATO
No Violations Recorded in the Area of Responsibility of Russian Peacekeeping Troops: Russian MoD
Azerbaijan has Alternative to Communicate with Nakhchivan Through Iran, Bypassing Armenia: Bayramov
The RA Minister of Defence Received the Ambassador of the Republic of Belarus
Azerbaijan to Lose Control Over Aghanus Village with Launch of New Corridor, Says Artsakh Infrastructure Minister
5-Day Weather Forecast In Armenia
Stop Issuing Tourist Visas to Russians- Kaja Kallas
Azerbaijan President Travels to Turkey
Nikol Pashinyan Sends Congratulatory Message to the Newly Elected Prime Minister of Kuwait
Biden to Sign NATO Accession Protocols for Sweden, Finland on August 9
Russia Supports Normalization of Armenia-Turkey Relations: Zakharova
Azerbaijani Special Services Continue Hacking Armenian Accounts of Facebook – NSS Artsakh
EU Will Not Recognise Passports Distributed By Russia To Ukrainians: Josep Borrell
Faith, Patriotism, Professionalism are Among Effective Mechanisms for Fighting Eternal Enemies: David Babayan
Armenian Film Producer Armen Grigoryan Dies In Courtroom
Edvard Asryan Appointed Chef of Staff of Armenia’s Armed Forces
Armenian PM Receives Participants of 2022 Golden Apricot Yerevan International Film Festival
Prime Minister Pashinyan Receives US CIA Director William Burns
Armenian, Azerbaijani FMs to Meet in Tbilisi
Armenia Plans to Open Diplomatic Office in Cyprus
Wind: 2.06 km/h