Moldova: The Next "Hot Spot" in Europe?
Moldova is in need for radical reforms, or at risk of becoming the next crisis epicenter in Europe, the consequences of which could go far beyond it. Moldova could be the next "hot spot" on the map of the European continent. Such an opinion was expressed by the Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Thorbjorn Jagland.
''To avoid this, the Moldovan authorities need to press ahead with the implementation of reforms, Jagland wrote in a column in The New York Times.
"The power there is actually in the hands of oligarchs, corruption is rampant ... Extremely low incomes are forcing hundreds of thousands Moldovans to go abroad," the Secretary said.
According to Jagland, with the prevailing situation in the country, not only the supporters of European integration are unhappy, but also the supporters of the idea of joining the Eurasian Economic Union. The politician also mentioned that the vast majority of citizens are concerned that the problem of Transnistria is not settled and fear that it may become the "second Crimea."
Jagland noted that the Council of Europe is ready to help Moldova in implementing the necessary reforms in order to fully meet the international standards.
The director of the Open Club ''International Dialogue'' Gregory Amnuel in turn mentioned that he believes in the words of Jagland about the probability of transformation of Moldova in the next European ''hot spot'' and that there is no exaggeration there.
''The reaction of the European Union and Western countries leaders to the events in Moldova has been somehow delayed,'' - he said in an interview with The "Voice of America". "An example of this situation are the elections in Gagauzia (Moldova Region), where there was constant interference in the internal affairs by some deputies of the State Duma of Russian Federation and political strategists. It all began with the emergence of the Russian-Ukrainian crisis."
As for the European Union and EU membership, many Moldovan experts acknowledge the fact that in the foreseeable future Moldova is not ready to become an EU member. From the perspective of the European Union, the given state should be harmonious partner with a minimum of social and political problems. That is Moldova should not create any problems for the EU, as the Union's own problems are not that few. A very vivid example is the Greek crisis, Sputnik Moldova reports.
"Everybody starting from Merkel and ending with other officials, have been using idiomatic expressions - convergence, further approximation of Moldova, etc. Within the framework of some concrete political solution, of course, Moldova could join the EU, but there is no objective reasons for this, because we do not fit any political or economic criteria at all," Moldovan famous economic expert Victor Ciobanu declared.
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
- CNBC: Nine European Countries Say it is Time for "Corona Bonds" as Virus Death Toll Rises Corona bonds are a controversial issue that has been dividing the 27-country region. Conservative policymakers in countries such as Germany, the Netherlands and Austria are often wary of the idea of issuing...
- Cyber Rapid Response Team Established by Six EU Countries Formed by civilian and military experts, the CRRTs will join neutralisation and investigation of dangerous cyber incidents virtually or, if necessary, physically.
- Ireland Will Hold General Election On February 8 Ireland will hold a general election on Saturday February 8, 2020, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has confirmed, Euronews reports.
- European Commission: Von der Leyen's New Team Confirmed by European Parliament Incumbent Jean-Claude Juncker tweeted his congratulations.
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Participated in the Meeting of the Eastern Partnership Foreign Ministers Within the framework of the 26th OSCE Ministerial Conference in Bratislava, Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan participated in the meeting between the newly appointed EU High Representative for Foreign...
- INSIGHT From Yerevan: 10th Anniversary of the Eastern Partnership “Insight from Yerevan: Earth” hosted political scientist, PhD Narek Grigoryan, to discuss the 10th anniversary of the Eastern Partnership, EU policy and RA-EU relations.
- The EU EaP Future to Be Built on Dreams and Hopes Today the EU problem is not having similar agreements with the Eastern partners and moving forward with common principles, but not losing partners in the region and finding ways to deepen cooperation...
- Azerbaijan And European Union at Odds Azerbaijan does not succeed in enshrining the desired wording in its documents with the European Union.
- Armenia-EU New Agreement Outlines a Very Good Path for Future Partnership Armenia decides itself how far to go in this partnership taking into account that the country is a member of the Eurasian Economic Union.
Kim Kardashian Shares App Results that Shows Her Nationality
Russia's Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin Dances to Armenian Song (VIDEO)
Comment by the Spokesperson of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia on the Azerbaijani Disinformation
Reuters: Elizabeth II To Address The Nation Over Coronavirus
Peru Limits Movement by Gender to Stem Coronavirus Spread: BBC
Azerbaijan Tries To Cover Up Its Own Actions By Spreading Desinformation
Criminal Cases Initiated On Incidents During Artsakh Elections
Works are Being Carried out at Bagratashen Checkpoint to Reduce Pile-ups on the Territories of Noth Armenia and Georgia
Larsi Highway Is Open Only For Trucks
Ex-chief of Armenian Army's General Staff on Four-Day Artsakh War
Merkel Ends Her Self-Quarantine, Returns to Chancellery: Reuters
Spain Reports 117,710 Total Cases of Coronavirus, Surpassing Italy: Euronews
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Sarkissian had a Conversation with the Co-Chair of the David Geffen Medical Center at the University of California (UCLA) Dr. Eric Esrailian
OPEC+ Talks May be Held Next Week
NATO Ministers of Foreign Affairs Agree on New Measures to Support Georgia and Ukraine in the Context of Black Sea Security
Pashinyan Gets Acquainted With Repair Works of Lung Ventilation Devices
Australian State MP Hugh McDermott Congratulates Artsakh On Elections, Calls Baku Blacklisting an Honour
Soldier Dies in Artsakh in Unknown Circumstances
World Bank Provides 3 Million USD to Armenia to Fight COVID-19 Spread
This Is Our Armenian Pizza: Turks Have Lashed Out at Kim Kardashian for Describing Lahmacun as Armenian Pizza (VIDEO)
Garo Paylan: Putin Made Erdogan Sit under the Statue of Catherine the Great who Symbolizes Russia's Victory over the Ottomans
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
Aliyev Angered by Armenian Toponyms on Azerbaijani Museum Maps, Orders New Ones (VIDEO)
French Armenians Alarm About Links Between Paris Mayor Candidate and Azerbaijani Authorities
March 15: Tehlirian’s Bullet Toppled Talaat to the Ground
Kim Kardashian Visits White House with Prisoners She Helped Free
Armenian Coat of Arms Printed on Famous American Rapper's Jacket
Joaquín Caparrós Appointes as Armenian National Team Head Coach
PACE Rapporteur: I Am Astonished And Appalled By The Azerbaijani Government’s Shameful Exploitation Of The Coronavirus Pandemic
Wind: 3 km/h