Palestinian-Israeli Conflict in the UN General Assembly
It is obvious that during the UN General Assembly's 70th session the conflicts of the Middle East have a key role. This platform is also used by Israel and Palestine for speaking about their problems. Particularly, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during his speech to the UN General Assembly "called on Palestinians to resume peace process as soon as possible and solve the conflict that lasted so many years". "I am prepared to immediately resume direct peace negotiations with the Palestinian Authority without any preconditions whatsoever. Unfortunately, President Abbas said that he is not prepared to do this," Haaretz quotes Netanyahu's words.
In his turn, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas noticed in his speech that in light of Israeli policy in the West Bank, the PA would not keep the agreements it signed with Israel over the past 20 years. PA President said his people were no longer bound by mutual agreements with Israel, including the Oslo Peace Accords, which created the foundation for the Middle East peace process. Abbas accused Israel of having systematically violated these pacts, the New York Times reports. Abbas said that there was no reason that the Palestinians should remain faithful to these accords as long as the Israelis were not.
At the same time Palestinian-Israeli conflict remains the center of the US attention. As AP reports, the U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said an Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement is "not an impossible dream" and can be achieved. Kerry said the United States is committed to backing negotiations that would lead to a two-state solution. He said now that the Iran nuclear deal has been concluded, the Obama administration will resume efforts to get the two sides talking again.
It should be noticed that earlier in the interview to the London-based "Al-Quds Al-Arabi" newspaper Abbas spoke about US Secretary of State John Kerry's initiated Israeli-Palestinian talks, which collapsed in 2014 without any progress. The main reason for the failure of negotiations, according to the Palestinian leader, was Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's demand to recognize Israel as a Jewish state. "If Israel is a Jewish state, then no one should be surprised if Gaza faces The Islamic state," Abbas said.
The Palestinian-Israeli conflict was also discussed in the UN General Assembly by the Middle East Quartet. Representatives of the Quartet – United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, United States Secretary of State John Kerry, European Union High Representative for Common Foreign and Security Policy Federica Mogherini – met in New York. They called on Israel and Palestine to take steps that will contribute to the settlement of the conflict based on two-state principle.
However, taking into consideration the ongoing conflicts in the Middle East, including the wars in Syria, Yemen and Iraq, analysts do not expect positive changes in the Palestinian-Israeli conflict in the visible future.
- Israeli Army Neutralizes Hamas Tunnel In Northern Gaza Strip The tunnel with two routes was dug toward Israeli territory but did not cross the newly-constructed underground sensory barrier and thus did not pose a threat to neighboring communities, the military said.
- Al Jazeera journalist shot and killed during Israeli raid in West Bank The Qatar-based network interrupted its broadcast to announce her death.
- Israel and Hamas Agree Gaza Ceasefire after 11 Days of Fighting The development came amid growing global alarm about the bloodshed, with US President Joe Biden urging Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to seek de-escalation, and mediation bids by Egypt, Qatar...
- US for 3rd Time Blocking Security Council Joint Statement Calling for Ceasefire between Israel and Hamas The statement was introduced by Norway, Tunisia and China following today’s emergency session on the escalation in Israel and Gaza and criticized both sides for the ongoing violence.
- Israeli Aircraft Strike in Gaza The airstrikes came in retaliation after 13 rocket launches from the Gaza Strip into Israeli territory were identified earlier in the morning, eight of which were intercepted by the Iron Dome missile defense...
- UN Secretary-General Condemns Attack Near Russian Embassy in Kabul The secretary-general conveys his condolences to the families of the deceased and wishes a speedy recovery to the injured.
- Armen Sarkissian Congratulates Antonio Guterres on the Re-Election as Secretary General of the Organization President of the Republic Armen Sarkissian sent a congratulatory message to Antonio Guterres on his re-election as Secretary-General of the United Nations.
- UN Secretary General Called COVID-19 a Number One Global Security Threat The coronavirus pandemic has gotten out of hand and the number of its victims will soon surpass 1 mln, Antonio Guterres said. "Soon, we will pass the grimmest of milestones: 1 million lives lost to the...
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Addressed a Letter to the UN Secretary The assistance and access of the United Nations specialized agencies including and especially of the World Health Organization to the people residing in the conflict-affected areas is essential in this...
- UN's Guterres Criticizes Trump's Move to Cut WHO Funding “The lessons learned will be essential to effectively address similar challenges, as they may arise in the future. But now is not that time,” the UN leader continued in a statement.
The regular session of the Anti-corruption Policy Council takes place in Jermuk
The Prime Minister sends congratulatory messages to the supreme leader of Iran and the President of Iran
Armenia sends earthquake aid to Turkey
Commemoration of the Pontiff St. Sahak Partev
Some roads are closed and difficult to pass in Armenia
Phone conversation of the Foreign Minister of Armenia with the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs
Prime Minister Pashinyan and President Khachaturyan meet
Ararat Mirzoyan with Co-Chairman of the OSCE Minsk Group of France Brice Roquefeuil
Humans could land on Mars within 10 years, Musk predicts
France, US urge 'immediate' end to Nagorno Karabakh blockade
Blockaded Nagorno Karabakh launches fundraiser to support quake-hit Syria
Earthquake death toll in Turkey rises to 18,342
Ararat Mirzoyan Held a Telephone Conversation with Sergey Lavrov
French president rules out fighter jet supplies to Ukraine in near future
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Vahagn Khachaturyan wrote a note in the book of condolences opened in the Embassy of Syria in Armenia
Azerbaijan’s provocations impede establishment of peace and stability – Armenian FM tells Russian Co-Chair of OSCE MG
France representation to OSCE: Paris calls on Azerbaijan to restore freedom of movement through Lachin corridor
Command of Kosovo forces highly appreciated preparation of Armenian peacekeepers
The United States withdrew from sanctions against Syria for six months the provision of assistance after the earthquake
Wind: 1.54 km/h