Gymnastics Skills Named after Armenian Athletes
Armenia’s first woman representative, Houry Gebeshyan’s new skill at the 31st Summer Olympic Games has officially been named after her.
During the parallel bars exercise when before starting the exercise she pushed herself from the first bar and rotating 360 degrees caught the second one at the 31st Summer Olympic Games.
It should be noted, that it is not the first time Armenian gymnasts surprise with the complexity of their tricks. During the World Cup in Doha, Qatar, in 2014 a member of the Armenian national team Vahagn Davtyan managed to perform a variation of the Cross exercise on the still rings that had not been done before. The element was named after the Armenian sportsman and called the Davtyan Cross.
Before that, element on the pommel horse was called after Vahagn Stepanyan. The success of the Armenian sportsmen in gymnastics and the tradition of naming skills after them began with gymnast Hrant Shahinyan. Shahinyan, who won two gold medals and two silver medals in gymnastics at the 1952 Summer Olympics in Helsinki, is the first Armenian in modern Olympic history to win an Olympic medal. Shahinyan performed an element on the pommel horse, later called "turntable Shahinyan".
In 1954 another Soviet Armenian gymnast Albert Azaryan was the first person to do one of the rings most famous variations of the Iron Cross called the Azaryan Cross, which incorporates a quarter turn to the side. In 1981 the element on vault was called by Artur Hakopyan’s name. He is credited as the first athlete to do a Tsukahara double twist.
- When I Sit Around a Table with Other Armenians, Bread and Wine Taste Differently: The Armenian Speechwriter of 3 US Presidents Aram Bakhshyan was born in Washington, DC (USA), in 1944. His life is a vivid example of career rise and realization of personality: he was a freelance journalist, journal editor, art critic, teacher at...
- James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma James Bagyan was born in 1952 in Philadelphia. His parents moved to the USA from Trabzon. According to James himself, his grandfather, Nazareth Kundebagyan, emigrated from Arabkir to America in 1913.
- Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin Vazgen Oganesov performed his last combat sortie during the battles for Berlin. On the eve of the Victory it was necessary to prevent the aircraft of Hitler's Reich from German besiegers headed by Hitler...
- Gevorg Nalbandian: an Armenian who Wrote an Anthem for an African Country The small Armenian diaspora in this exotic ancient country has always occupied an important place in all areas of state and cultural life, Dlmn.info notes.
- The World Famous Armenian Soldiers: Avakyants, Shekerdzhyan, Derunyan ''Armedia'' IAA is presentd a series of articles on the life and professional activities of high-ranking Armenian military servicemen who served in the armed forces of other countries.
- Euro 2024: Germany Beats Turkey to Host Tournament The decision means Germany will stage the European Championship for the first time as a unified country, with West Germany having hosted the 1988 tournament.
- PM Attends Golden Apricot’s Opening Ceremony, Watches the Game of Legends (PHOTOS) Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan and his spouse Anna Hakobyan today attended the opening ceremony of the 15th Golden Apricot International Film Festival at Aram Khachaturian Concert Hall.
- Players of ''Arsenal'' Sing Armenian Song (Video) After the match the players of "Arsenal'' sang Armenian song ''Mi Gna''.
- Mkhitaryan Has Recovered and Is Available for Selection He has missed Arsenal’s past five fixtures after suffering a knee ligament injury against CSKA Moscow in the Europa League earlier this month.
- Arthur Abraham Wins Patrick Nielsen The scores were 115-113 for Nielsen, 116-112 for Abraham, 116-112 for Abraham. There mixed reactions to the outcome, with some observers believing that Nielsen had done enough to gain the win.
“We Intend to Exempt Micro Business From Taxes” - Nikol Pashinyan Visits Charity Fair Organized by Syrian-Armenians
Tusk has No Optimism on Brexit Deal
The Main Results of the Francophone Week in Yerevan
Anna Burns Wins Man Booker Prize for Milkman
Armenia Improves Positions in Global Competitiveness Index
Turkish President Erdoğan Meets Pompeo in Ankara
Trump: "My Biggest Threat is the Fed"
Israel Strikes Gaza in Response to Rocket Attack on Be’er Sheva
Canada Becomes Second Country to Legalise Recreational Marijuana
Border Crosser from Turkey ID’d as Ethnic Kurd Felon, Russian Border Guards Say
Politico: State Department Spokeswoman Nauert in the Mix for U.N. Ambassador
President Sarkissian Accepts Cabinet’s Resignation
Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan: “Armenia is Entering a Historic Stage of Development”
Armenian Akhtala to be Renamed After Charles Aznavour?
Saudi Missing Journalist Jamal Khashoggi: Explanation Expected from Saudi Arabia as Mike Pompeo Arrives
ARF won’t Nominate Candidate for Prime Minister
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Received Board Members of the International Francophone Press
Donald Trump has talked with King of Saudi Arabia
Turkey to Inspect Saudi Consulate over Journalist’s Disappearance
Kadyrov Invited Pashinyan and Macron to Participate in a Dance Festival in Chechnya
Brigitte Macron: We Feel So Good in Armenia that We Don't Want to Leave
Macron: April 24 to be Remembered in France as the Day of Remembrance of the Armenian Genocide
In Honor of Canada’s Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, RA Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan Gave Official Dinner (photos)
It Is Suggested in Armenia to Rename one of the International Airports in Honor of the Great Chansonnier Charles Aznavour
German Publicist about Erdogan's Visit: You Mean the Carpet, which Is Painted with the Blood of Armenians?
Aliyev Criticized International Observers' Assessment on the Yerevan Council of Elderly Elections before the Election Results Were Published
Justin Trudeau: Many Years ago I Had the Opportunity to Visit Armenia with my Father during Summer Holidays
CSTO Chief of Joint Staff not Authorized to Comment on Matter Regarding Secretary General Yuri Khachaturov
Artsakh's Defense Army Serviceman Artsakh Hovsepyan Posthumously Awarded with the "For Service in Battle" Medal
Sharmazanov to Speaker of Azerbaijani Parliament: You Should Recognize the Full Exercise of Artsakh People’s Right of Self-Determination
Wind: 6.44 km/h