Boris Johnson Has a Plan B for Brexit If the EU Rejects His Deal
According to two people familiar with the matter, the prime minister hasn’t ruled out keeping the contentious backstop arrangement for the Irish border, with one crucial condition: that the EU puts a clear time limit on it, Bloomberg reports.
That idea is not something that the EU is formally considering, but it has been discussed as a potential back-up option, including by the bloc’s power axis of France and Germany, EU officials said earlier this week. Persuading the Irish to accept it would still be a considerable stretch.
One person familiar with Johnson’s thinking said the option of keeping the backstop but adding a time limit was the government’s Plan B. Another confirmed the prime minister isn’t ruling it out.
The so-called backstop is a set of arrangements designed to ensure that there are never any checks on goods crossing the border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. It’s supposed to remain in place until a more permanent system can be introduced in the years after Brexit.
Johnson wants to abolish the backstop because it would keep the U.K. tied into the EU’s customs regime indefinitely and prevent his government seeking trading deals with other countries, a core ambition of the hard core Brexit faction in his party. Dublin sees it as a guarantee for the Irish economy and the peace process that largely brought an end to terrorist violence on the island in the 1990s.
- UK and Japan Agree Historic Free Trade Agreement But it is unclear whether the UK has won an export quota to match the one it had as a member of the EU.
- Boris Johnson Tells EU that Free Trade Deal Must be Done by 15 October In that case, Britain would be ready to find sensible accommodation with the bloc on practical issues such as flights, lorry transport or scientific cooperation, according to the excerpts.
- EU Announced Diplomatic Mission In London The EU External Action shortly after the Brexit issued a statement and announced that the EU’s diplomatic mission in London will be carried out by the EU delegation led by Ambassador diplomat Joao Vale...
- UK PM Johnson Plans 'Respectful' Brexit Celebration After three years of wrangling over whether Brexit should go ahead and how best to do it, Johnson has agreed a deal with the EU that will see Britain continue to abide by the bloc’s rules until the end...
- EU Chiefs Sign Brexit Deal ahead of Parliamentary Vote Then, on Thursday next week, diplomats from the EU member states will approve the deal in writing, ensuring Britain’s orderly departure at midnight on January 31.
EU Believes Lukashenko’s Inauguration Lacks Legitimacy
Biden leads Trump by 10 points nationally in new pair of polls
Coronavirus Situation Worsens in Armenia, Says PM
Artsakh Confirms 9 New Cases of COVID-19 in Past 24 Hours
Israel Tightens Coronavirus Restrictions as Cases Continue to Surge
Trudeau: Canada Already in Second Wave of Coronavirus
Armenia Records 48251 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Obama Shares His Phone Number
Armenia’s New Ambassador to Bulgaria Presents Credentials to President Rumen Radev
Russia’s FM Discussed with Azerbaijani Side NK Status Issue and Liberation of Surrounding Territories: Russian MFA
Military Exercises "Shant-2020" To Be Held On November 16-20 In Armenia
Armen Sarkissian: Armenia and China Have Great Potential for Cooperation
US-Based SADA Systems Plans to Establish Global Center for Technological Solutions in Armenia
Weather forecast in Armenia
Artsakh NA Speaker Artur Tovmasyan Visits Armenia
Representatives of The ARF-Dashnaktsutyun Met The Russian Ambassador to Armenia
Over 100 Healthcare Workers in Armenia Will Soon be Awarded for Efforts on Fighting COVID-19
Humanitarian Assistance Transferred from Artsakh to ‘Chevy Chase’ Surgery Center in Los Angeles
Asphalting of the Karvachar Road Has Been Launched: Artsakh President Made a Tour
The Court Hearing On Changing Pre-trial Measure of Gagik Tsarukyan Was Adjourned
Declaration on Proclamation of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic
Statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the Violation of the Rights of the Officer Gurgen Alaverdyan who Appeared Under the Azerbaijani Jurisdiction
Artsakh Women Participate in 1-Week Combat Preparedness Training at Initiative of Armenian PM’s Wife (PHOTOS)
Ancient Armenian Fortress Surfaces from under Lake Van
Armenia Joined International Religious Freedom Alliance’s COVID-19 and Religious Minorities Pandemic Statement
The Government of Artsakh Also Contributes to the Preservation of the Armenian Community of Lebanon. President Harutyunyan Convoked a Consultation
Artsakh Republic President Approved the New Composition of the Security Council of the Country
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Internal investigation Will Reveal All Circumstances of Disappearance of the Armenian Officer - Defense Minister
Azerbaijani Side Launches New Fortification Works on the Border, Armenian Side Suspends such Activities
Wind: 5 km/h