Boris Johnson Has a Plan B for Brexit If the EU Rejects His Deal
According to two people familiar with the matter, the prime minister hasn’t ruled out keeping the contentious backstop arrangement for the Irish border, with one crucial condition: that the EU puts a clear time limit on it, Bloomberg reports.
That idea is not something that the EU is formally considering, but it has been discussed as a potential back-up option, including by the bloc’s power axis of France and Germany, EU officials said earlier this week. Persuading the Irish to accept it would still be a considerable stretch.
One person familiar with Johnson’s thinking said the option of keeping the backstop but adding a time limit was the government’s Plan B. Another confirmed the prime minister isn’t ruling it out.
The so-called backstop is a set of arrangements designed to ensure that there are never any checks on goods crossing the border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. It’s supposed to remain in place until a more permanent system can be introduced in the years after Brexit.
Johnson wants to abolish the backstop because it would keep the U.K. tied into the EU’s customs regime indefinitely and prevent his government seeking trading deals with other countries, a core ambition of the hard core Brexit faction in his party. Dublin sees it as a guarantee for the Irish economy and the peace process that largely brought an end to terrorist violence on the island in the 1990s.
- Boris Johnson Refuses to Grant Scotland Powers to Hold Independence Vote Instead he suggested that it is in Scotland's interest not to devote valuable time to discussions about whether the nation should become independent while there are urgent domestic issues to tackle.
- Three British Parties Agree to Vote against Brexit in the Election Such a pact means two of the parties would agree not to field a candidate, boosting the third candidate's chances.
- UK will not Extend Brexit Transition Period The spokesman said the government must continue to prepare for all possibilities including that the country leaves the European Union on Jan. 31 without a withdrawal deal.
- Brexit: Parliament Breaks Deadlock With Vote for 12 December Election Parliament will dissolve next Wednesday for a short campaign of five weeks, so long as the House of Lords passes Johnson’s legislation as expected in the coming days.
- EU Hopes to Endorse Brexit Delay to January 31 with Earlier Departure possible Any postponement to Brexit can only be granted unanimously by the 27 and French objections have so far prevented a decision as Johnson spars with lawmakers over calling an early election.
Georgi Kutoyan Left for His Apartment on Paruyr Sevak Street Telling Family Members About his Intention to Rest for 2-3 Days: IC Unveils Details
Statement of the Armenia-Artsakh Inter-Parliamentary Committee
Barack Obama Shared Adorable Birthday Message to Michelle
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
MirzoySan says Armenians of Artsakh Cannot Live in Safety Under Azerbaijani Sovereignty
Azerbaijani Armed Forces Violated the Ceasefire Around 80 Times
Zelensky Rejects PM's Offer to Quit
PM Receives Prominent Astrophysicist Garik Israelyan
Is Russia's Newly Appointed Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin of Armenian Origin?
Some Roads in Armenia are Closed and Difficult to Pass
Serzh Sargsyan Extends Condolences on Untimely and Tragic Demise of Georgi Kutoyan
The Plane Crash Was a Bitter Accident: Iranian Supreme Leader
Canadian Armenian Genocide Survivor Eugenie Papazian Passes Away at Age 105
Lavrov on His Possible Appointment in New Government
Oil Ends Week Steady as China Growth Offsets Trade Deal Optimism
German Chancellor Merkel to Visit Turkey on January 24
Former NSS Director Found Shot Dead in Yerevan
Sitting of Inter-Parliamentary Committee on Cooperation between the Legislative Bodies of Armenia and Artsakh Will Be Held on January 18
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
France to Deploy Aircraft Carrier to Middle East
Homemade Armenian Baklava: Kourtney Kardashian's Post Angers Turks
Armenia, Artsakh and the World Around: What the Stars Say
Among His Respective Achievements Alexis Ohanian Mentioned the Visit to Armenia
A. Gundjian, K. Sarkissian Named Members of Order of Canada by Governor-General Julie Payette
Nikol Pashinyan Addresses Congratulatory Message to Armenian People From Republican Square (PHOTOS)
Facebook Removes Hundreds of Georgia Govt Linked Pages
The Biggest Fashion Trends to Wear for Spring/Summer 2020
Nikol Pashinyan, Anna Hakobyan and Catholicos of All Armenians Vsit Army Unit Ahead of Holiday Season (PHOTOS)
Armenia's Constitutional Court Has Been Working under Unprecedented Pressure for the Last 6-7 Months: CC President
Armenia's Speaker of Parliament Visited Several North-Eastern Border Positions to Congratulate on New Year
Wind: 5 km/h