''California Demands Justice for the Murder of 1.5 million Armenians'': California Governor Signs Divestment from Turkish Bonds Act Into Law
California Governor Gavin Newsom on Thursday signed the Divestment from Turkish Bonds Act, into law, armradio reports.
“California stands on the side of justice and remembers the 1.5 million souls lost during the Armenian Genocide,” stated Governor Gavin Newsom. “Today and every day, let us recommit ourselves to making certain that we never forget and that we always speak out against hatred and atrocities anywhere they occur. I am proud to stand with friends and sign AB 1320 into law.”
“California, the 5th largest economy in the world, just told Turkey to end its deceitful campaign of genocide denial,” stated Assemblymember Adrin Nazarian. “I want to thank my colleagues, Governor Newsom, and all those who have fought with me on this long path to recognizing the 1.5 million Armenian souls lost to genocide.”
“This is a significant victory for the Armenian Cause after a long and hard-fought battle, but the war is not over by any means. We are exceedingly grateful to Governor Gavin Newsom for remaining steadfast in his commitment for justice for the Armenian Cause by keeping his promise to sign the Divest Turkey bill into law once he assumed office after publicly voicing his support during his term as Lt. Governor and after our meeting with him in August,” said Armenian National Committee of America-Western Region chairperson Nora Hovsepian, Esq.
“The persistence and perseverance of Assemblymember Adrin Nazarian and the unflinching support of his colleagues in the State Assembly and State Senate in working with us to advance this agenda have been immeasurable, and we greatly appreciate the hard work it took to achieve this result,” added Hovspeian.
“After this movement was initiated by the Armenian Youth Federation and the All-Armenian Students’ Association on college campuses throughout California, the ANCA-WR worked hard to bring it to the legislative floor. This was truly a team effort, and the result speaks for itself. We will continue to spread the message of Divest Turkey to other entities, now being able to use this newly-enacted law as an example of how the State can align its human rights policies with its fiscal policies.” explained Hovsepian.
California has a long history of divesting from countries that violate human rights. Threatening to divest from Turkish bonds over its denial of the Armenian Genocide would end the continued funding of a campaign of genocide denial. This bill sends a strong message internationally that California demands justice for the murder of 1.5 million Armenians.
AB 1320 prohibits the boards of the California Public Retirement System (CalPERS) and California State Teachers’ Retirement System (CalSTRS) from making additional or new investments, or renewing existing investments issued or owned by the government of Turkey after federal sanctions are imposed on Turkey.
The boards shall liquidate investments only upon action taken by the federal government. More specifically, CalPERS and CalSTRS must liquidate any of the investments described above within eighteen months of the passage of federal sanctions on Turkey.
This bill also requires the boards of CalPERS and CalSTRS to submit reports to the Legislature and the Governor, within a year of when the federal government issues sanctions against Turkey. The report will detail a list of investments that they have already liquidated and a list of investments that potentially can be liquidated. CalPERS, estimated that the exposure to the fund from Turkish investment vehicles ranges between $77 million up to $350 million as of December 31, 2018.
From its July analysis, CalSTRS estimates the holdings of debt securities issued by the government of Turkey is approximately $3.2 million. Global equities and currency investments subject to possible divestment have a potential combined market value of up to $8.3 million.
“I want to thank the Armenian Assembly, the Armenian National Committee of America – Western Region, Armenian Youth Federation and Armenian Student Associations throughout the UC and Cal State system and all the other college campuses for helping advocate for AB 1320,” stated Assemblymember Nazarian.
California is home to the largest Armenian-American population in the United States and one of the largest Armenian Diaspora communities in the world. Annually, the Los Angeles Armenian Diaspora organizes a march and protest on April 24th, to the Turkish Consulate to condemn Turkey’s denial of their history of human rights violations and targeted murder of the Armenian people in 1915. AB 1320 sets precedent that we will not support Turkey, as it continues to savagely violate human rights today as it did over a century ago.
Assemblymember Nazarian added: “I am not finished fighting for justice and reparations. My next fight is federal recognition of the Armenian Genocide.”
- Status of Hagia Sophia Can Be Changed by Presidential Decree The pro-government press points out, however, that in the event of a positive proposal, it is assumed that the first prayer will be held on July 15, the fourth anniversary of the failed coup attempt, which...
- Greece Urges Turkey to Keep Hagia Sophia as Museum "Hagia Sophia is a world heritage monument... Many countries, culminating in the intervention of the U.S State Department, highlighted this very point, urging Turkey not to take steps which would create...
- Anti-Armenian Turkish Politician Elected President of 75th UN General Assembly "When he was chair of the foreign relations committee of the Turkish parliament and minister for relations with the European Union, he would make anti-Armenian statements. As minister for European Union...
- Turkey Launches Ground Operation Against Kurdish Militants in Northern Iraq "Our commandos have been deployed to the region [of Haftanin, northern Iraq]," the ministry said, noting that the new military operation dubbed Claw-Tiger is supported by the Air Force, ATAK helicopters,...
- Turkey, Russia, Iran to Hold 5th Summit on Syria The summit aims at assessing the latest developments in war-weary Syria -- northwestern Idlib city in particular -- ending the conflict climate, ensuring the necessary conditions for the voluntary return...
- Phone Conversation of Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan with Philip Reeker, the Acting Assistant Secretary of European and Eurasian Affairs The Foreign Minister of Armenia and the US Acting Assistant Secretary for European and Eurasian Affairs exchanged views on the recent developments in the Nagorno-Karabakh peace process.
- Armenian Ambassador Pays Working Visit to US West Coast The Ambassador briefed them on the Armenia-U.S. Strategic Dialogue session convened in Yerevan in May, the outcomes of the recent high-level delegations’ visits to the United States, regional developments...
- RA Prime Minister, U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Discuss Bilateral Cooperation Agenda Prime Minister Pashinyan wished every success to the meeting of the intergovernmental commission on Armenian-American strategic dialogue, due to be held tomorrow.
- Armenian Ambassador to US meets with Congresswoman Dina Titus Ambassador Nersesyan and Congresswoman Titus also touched upon other issues on the Armenia-US agenda, acknowledging the unique role of the Armenian Caucus in implementing it.
- President Sarkissian Congratulates Ambassador Richard Mills on US Independence Day President Sarkissian congratulated Ambassador Richard Mills and in the person of him, the good people of the United States, on this important holiday and wished welfare and constant development.
- Pro-Kurdish Party of Turkey: We Confront Armenian Genocide with Shame The Armenian Genocide has been recognized by dozens of parliaments around the world, but the parliament of the country of that crime does not speak about it for already 105 years.
- EU Delegation to Armenia: These Crimes Will Never Be Forgotten The EU Delegation to Armenia commemorates the victims of the tragic events that have led to the loss of so many innocent Armenian lives.
- PM Pays Tribute to Armenian Genocide Victims But due to the current state of emergency in the country because of the spread of COVID-19, the Prime Minister did not visit the memorial accompanied by the ruling elite, but only by his wife, Anna Hakobyan.
- His Holiness Garegin II Addresses Message on 105th Anniversary of Armenian Genocide We can make these dreams come true with a consciousness of duty and responsibility towards the nation and the Homeland, via national solidarity and uniting our efforts for the sake of the Homeland and...
- It is With Deep Concern that I Must Note How Turkish Politicians are Taking a Look Back at their History "Crimes, indeed, genocides must be recognized as such in order to rule out repetition. It is with deep concern that I must note how Turkish politicians are taking a look back at their history, and currently...
Anouch Toraninan Elected Head of 15th Arrondissement of Paris
Lithuanian President’s Wife Sends Gifts to Armenian Children Infected with Covid-19 (VIDEO)
Su-30SM Fighter Jets Destroyed All Air Targets: Pashinyan (video)
Ararat Mirzoyan Held Telephone Conversation with Chairman of Russian State Duma
Artsakh President Convoked a Consultation on the Defense Army Officers' Housing Issues
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Ararat Mirzoyan Has a Telephone Talk with Speaker of RF FA Council Federation Valentina Matviyenko
President Sarkissian Sent a Congratulatory Message to Alexander Lukashenko on the Occasion of the Independence Day of Belarus
RA NA Representative at Constitutional Court Presents a Motion to CC
Armen Sarkissian Congratulated the Author and Publicist Razmik Davoyan on the Occasion of his 80th Birth Anniversary
France's Macron Appoints New Prime Minister After Government Resigns
EU Foreign Ministers to Discuss Hong Kong at Next Meeting
Nikol Pashinyan Congratulates Alexander Lukashenko on Belarus Independence Day
Communication With Public is One of Key Challenges for Armenia Authorities, Says USAID Official
Third President of the Republic of Armenia Serzh Sargsyan Congratulates Poet Razmik Davoyan on 80th Birth Anniversary
ECB Welcomes Initiative to Launch new European Payment Solution
French PM Philippe Resigns
Armenia Records 27320 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
President of Artsakh Approved Decisions of the Government
PM Nikol Pashinyan’s Congratulatory Message to Vladimir Putin
Karen Bekaryan: Nikol Pashinyan Has Forgotten that His Mission Is to Represent and Advocate the Interests of His Country
''Nasty Armenian'': Turkish Singer Sued for Insulting Armenians in a Post Addressed to Kim Kardashian
Reddit Cofounder Alexis Ohanian Resigns from Board, Urges Seat Be Filled by Black Candidate
Armenia’s Government Should Oppose Turkey Attempts to Take Over Armenian Properties in Jerusalem
Greek Defence Minister: Turkey’s Behaviour is Aggressive But Our Powerful Armed Forces is a Deterrent
Government Approves 22nd Anti-Crisis Program: Unemployed Citizens to Receive Lump-Sum Assistance at the Rate of the Minimum Wage
Turkey Drew Up Plans to Invade Greece and Armenia: Jerusalem Post
ANCA Calls for Robust US Funding for Artsakh
Comment by the Spokesperson of the MFA of Armenia Anna Naghdalyan on the Remarks of the President of Azerbaijan During the Opening on N Military Unit
Comment by the Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Anna Naghdalyan Regarding Bellicose Statements of Various Circles of Azerbaijani Authorities
Wind: 13 km/h