''California Demands Justice for the Murder of 1.5 million Armenians'': California Governor Signs Divestment from Turkish Bonds Act Into Law
California Governor Gavin Newsom on Thursday signed the Divestment from Turkish Bonds Act, into law, armradio reports.
“California stands on the side of justice and remembers the 1.5 million souls lost during the Armenian Genocide,” stated Governor Gavin Newsom. “Today and every day, let us recommit ourselves to making certain that we never forget and that we always speak out against hatred and atrocities anywhere they occur. I am proud to stand with friends and sign AB 1320 into law.”
“California, the 5th largest economy in the world, just told Turkey to end its deceitful campaign of genocide denial,” stated Assemblymember Adrin Nazarian. “I want to thank my colleagues, Governor Newsom, and all those who have fought with me on this long path to recognizing the 1.5 million Armenian souls lost to genocide.”
“This is a significant victory for the Armenian Cause after a long and hard-fought battle, but the war is not over by any means. We are exceedingly grateful to Governor Gavin Newsom for remaining steadfast in his commitment for justice for the Armenian Cause by keeping his promise to sign the Divest Turkey bill into law once he assumed office after publicly voicing his support during his term as Lt. Governor and after our meeting with him in August,” said Armenian National Committee of America-Western Region chairperson Nora Hovsepian, Esq.
“The persistence and perseverance of Assemblymember Adrin Nazarian and the unflinching support of his colleagues in the State Assembly and State Senate in working with us to advance this agenda have been immeasurable, and we greatly appreciate the hard work it took to achieve this result,” added Hovspeian.
“After this movement was initiated by the Armenian Youth Federation and the All-Armenian Students’ Association on college campuses throughout California, the ANCA-WR worked hard to bring it to the legislative floor. This was truly a team effort, and the result speaks for itself. We will continue to spread the message of Divest Turkey to other entities, now being able to use this newly-enacted law as an example of how the State can align its human rights policies with its fiscal policies.” explained Hovsepian.
California has a long history of divesting from countries that violate human rights. Threatening to divest from Turkish bonds over its denial of the Armenian Genocide would end the continued funding of a campaign of genocide denial. This bill sends a strong message internationally that California demands justice for the murder of 1.5 million Armenians.
AB 1320 prohibits the boards of the California Public Retirement System (CalPERS) and California State Teachers’ Retirement System (CalSTRS) from making additional or new investments, or renewing existing investments issued or owned by the government of Turkey after federal sanctions are imposed on Turkey.
The boards shall liquidate investments only upon action taken by the federal government. More specifically, CalPERS and CalSTRS must liquidate any of the investments described above within eighteen months of the passage of federal sanctions on Turkey.
This bill also requires the boards of CalPERS and CalSTRS to submit reports to the Legislature and the Governor, within a year of when the federal government issues sanctions against Turkey. The report will detail a list of investments that they have already liquidated and a list of investments that potentially can be liquidated. CalPERS, estimated that the exposure to the fund from Turkish investment vehicles ranges between $77 million up to $350 million as of December 31, 2018.
From its July analysis, CalSTRS estimates the holdings of debt securities issued by the government of Turkey is approximately $3.2 million. Global equities and currency investments subject to possible divestment have a potential combined market value of up to $8.3 million.
“I want to thank the Armenian Assembly, the Armenian National Committee of America – Western Region, Armenian Youth Federation and Armenian Student Associations throughout the UC and Cal State system and all the other college campuses for helping advocate for AB 1320,” stated Assemblymember Nazarian.
California is home to the largest Armenian-American population in the United States and one of the largest Armenian Diaspora communities in the world. Annually, the Los Angeles Armenian Diaspora organizes a march and protest on April 24th, to the Turkish Consulate to condemn Turkey’s denial of their history of human rights violations and targeted murder of the Armenian people in 1915. AB 1320 sets precedent that we will not support Turkey, as it continues to savagely violate human rights today as it did over a century ago.
Assemblymember Nazarian added: “I am not finished fighting for justice and reparations. My next fight is federal recognition of the Armenian Genocide.”
- Turkey Considers Purchasing 2nd Regiment of Russian-Made S-400 Air Defense Systems "Our work on the second [regiment] of S-400 systems continues," he said in an interview with the Turkish NTV television channel.
- Turkey Says Turning Back on S-400s 'Problematic' "It is a very problematic situation to turn back from the point we have come to. We invite (the United States) to distance themselves from threatening language such as sanctions," Akar told journalists...
- Turkey Arrests Another Former Intelligence Officer in Hrant Dink Murder Case Earlier last week, the Istanbul court ordered the arrest of two former gendarmerie intelligence officers – Volkan Sahin and Veysal Sahin – in the same case.
- Turkish Lira Exchange Rate Hits Another Record Low Against USD Earlier, Bloomberg had linked the ongoing devaluation of the lira to the fears that Ankara could become embroiled in the Nagorno-Karabakh (Artsakh) conflict between Armenians and Azerbaijanis.
- Turkey Denies Airspace for Transfer of Humanitarian Cargo to Armenia The airline did not give any sound reason. The humanitarian aid collected by the Armenian-American community was supposed to be sent to the civilians affected by the Artsakh-Azerbaijani war.
- Phone Conversation of Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan with Philip Reeker, the Acting Assistant Secretary of European and Eurasian Affairs The Foreign Minister of Armenia and the US Acting Assistant Secretary for European and Eurasian Affairs exchanged views on the recent developments in the Nagorno-Karabakh peace process.
- Armenian Ambassador Pays Working Visit to US West Coast The Ambassador briefed them on the Armenia-U.S. Strategic Dialogue session convened in Yerevan in May, the outcomes of the recent high-level delegations’ visits to the United States, regional developments...
- RA Prime Minister, U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State Discuss Bilateral Cooperation Agenda Prime Minister Pashinyan wished every success to the meeting of the intergovernmental commission on Armenian-American strategic dialogue, due to be held tomorrow.
- Armenian Ambassador to US meets with Congresswoman Dina Titus Ambassador Nersesyan and Congresswoman Titus also touched upon other issues on the Armenia-US agenda, acknowledging the unique role of the Armenian Caucus in implementing it.
- President Sarkissian Congratulates Ambassador Richard Mills on US Independence Day President Sarkissian congratulated Ambassador Richard Mills and in the person of him, the good people of the United States, on this important holiday and wished welfare and constant development.
- Pro-Kurdish Party of Turkey: We Confront Armenian Genocide with Shame The Armenian Genocide has been recognized by dozens of parliaments around the world, but the parliament of the country of that crime does not speak about it for already 105 years.
- EU Delegation to Armenia: These Crimes Will Never Be Forgotten The EU Delegation to Armenia commemorates the victims of the tragic events that have led to the loss of so many innocent Armenian lives.
- PM Pays Tribute to Armenian Genocide Victims But due to the current state of emergency in the country because of the spread of COVID-19, the Prime Minister did not visit the memorial accompanied by the ruling elite, but only by his wife, Anna Hakobyan.
- His Holiness Garegin II Addresses Message on 105th Anniversary of Armenian Genocide We can make these dreams come true with a consciousness of duty and responsibility towards the nation and the Homeland, via national solidarity and uniting our efforts for the sake of the Homeland and...
- It is With Deep Concern that I Must Note How Turkish Politicians are Taking a Look Back at their History "Crimes, indeed, genocides must be recognized as such in order to rule out repetition. It is with deep concern that I must note how Turkish politicians are taking a look back at their history, and currently...
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Congressman Pallone Asks Biden Administration to Address Issue of Armenian Captives and Azerbaijan’s Gross Violations
Some Roads are Closed in Armenia
Foundations of State Strengthened Only by Highest Protection of Your Rights: Armenian Ombudsman
Course of Our History Has Shown How Strong Armenian Women Are: Armenian President
Body Search Operation Suspended Due to Fog and Poor Visibility
Armenia Records 175016 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Dear Mothers and Sisters, We wish that You Meet this Holiday of Reverence with Hope and Comfort: Karekin II
30-Meter-High Armenian Flag Raised in Shurnukh Village (video)
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
There Should Be No Flags and Signs on Roads or in Immediate Vicinity of Villages in Syunik Province: Arman Tatoyan
Armenia Records 174679 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Bill Urging Azerbaijan to Release Armenian POWs Coming to Congress
Sunday of Steward
Some Roads are Closed in Armenia
Armenia’s President Requests Meeting With Homeland Salvation Movement Leaders- Ishkhan Saghatelyan
Pope Francis, Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani Hold Closed Meeting in Iraq
In Armenia the Air Temperature Will Gradually Go Down
Armenian, Iranian FMs Discuss Issues of Regional Security and Stability
Demilitarized Buffer Zone Needs to Be Created in Syunik Province to Guarantee Residents' Rights: Armenia Ombudsman:
A Wider Alliance Should Be Formed to Oppose Erdogan's Aggressive Policy
Armenia National Flag is Blessed in Iraq’s Erbil (PHOTOS)
Search Works of Bodies of Killed Servicemen Resume
4 More Bodies of Fallen Servicemen Found During Search Operations, Artsakh Authorities Say
Artsakh: Search Օperation not to Be Conducted Today Due to Weather Conditions
3,577 Bodies Passed Forensic Examination, DNA Analysis of Other 428 in Process
Garegin Nzhdeh Statue not Demolished in Martuni Town of Artsakh
Turkish State Channel Showed a Map of Expanding Influence on Armenia, Georgia and a Number of Territories of Russia
Search Operations for War Casualties in Areas Beyond Artsakh’s Control Suspended Indefinitely
Joe Biden Has First Conversation with Xi Jinping as US President
Wind: 5 km/h