Iraq Unrest: Protesters Set Fire to Iranian Consulate in Najaf
Iraqi protesters stormed the Iranian consulate in the southern city of Najaf and set fire to the building on Wednesday bringing a new level of violence to demonstrations aimed at the downfall of a government backed by Tehran, Reuters reports.
It was the strongest expression yet of the anti-Iranian sentiment of Iraqi demonstrators, who have taken to the streets for weeks in Baghdad and the Shi’ite Muslim-majority south - and have been gunned down in their hundreds by Iraqi security forces.
Staff at the consulate had evacuated shortly before demonstrators broke in, police and civil defense first responders said. There were no immediate reports of casualties.
Local authorities imposed a curfew following the incident, state media reported.
- Iraq Closes Southern Border with Iran to Travelers The security source said Tehran had demanded the closure because of ongoing public protests in both Iran and Iraq.
- Pentagon Now Says 50 service Members Suffered Brain Injuries from Iran Attack Officials have acknowledged that it can take time for the concussion-like symptoms to present themselves.
- Thousands Rally against US Military Presence in Iraq The rally comes after Influential Iraqi Shia cleric Muqtada al-Sadr called on Iraqis to stage “a million-strong, peaceful, unified demonstration to condemn the American presence and its violations”...
- U.S. Military Resumes Joint Operations With Iraq In a speech to his cabinet, he suggested that Parliament’s decision might not be the final word, saying “If we reach the decision to get the forces out of Iraq, then this would be the decision of the...
- U.S. Looks at Cuts to Military Aid to Iraq The emails assert that no final decision has been made, but top administration officials have ordered a review of what funds may be held or reallocated in the event Iraq requires the U.S. troops be removed.
Lavrov, Pompeo Discuss Coronavirus Situation, Results of G20 Summit- TASS
Artsakh Central Electoral Commission Chairperson Receives Armenia MPs
3 Armenian Servicemen Wounded from Azerbaijan's Gunshots
Putin, Trump Discuss Oil Markets, Coronavirus by Phone: Reuters
Prince Charles Is out of Isolation after Contracting Coronavirus: CNN
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Government to Provide Support to Workers in a Number of Sectors, Pregnant Women and Job-Seekers: 3 New anti-Crisis Packages Adopted
New Dates For Tokyo Olympics Games Confirmed
Local Governments in China Issue Free Digital Coupons to Stimulate Consumption Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
Bloomberg: Bulgaria’s Euro Accession Dream Stumbles as Virus Spreads
Earthquake Hits 33 km North-East from Karvachar Town
European Commission Reallocated €140 million For The Most Immediate Needs In The Eastern Partnership Countries
The Amazing Finalists in the 2020 Hair-Freezing Contest
Another Armenia Soldier Diagnosed With Coronavirus
Yemen's Houthi Militias Claim Responsibility for Botched Attack on Saudi Arabia
WTI Oil Price Breaks $20 Barrier for First Time Since 2002
TASS: Tehran Calls US Sanctions Amid Coronavirus Pandemic ‘Medical Terrorism’
Bako Sahakyan Sent a Condolence Letter to the Family of Patrick Devedjian
North Korea Says Tested Multiple Rocket Launcher
Number of Coronavirus Cases in Armenia Reach 482
Garo Paylan: Putin Made Erdogan Sit under the Statue of Catherine the Great who Symbolizes Russia's Victory over the Ottomans
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
This Is Our Armenian Pizza: Turks Have Lashed Out at Kim Kardashian for Describing Lahmacun as Armenian Pizza (VIDEO)
Aliyev Angered by Armenian Toponyms on Azerbaijani Museum Maps, Orders New Ones (VIDEO)
French Armenians Alarm About Links Between Paris Mayor Candidate and Azerbaijani Authorities
March 15: Tehlirian’s Bullet Toppled Talaat to the Ground
Daughter of Emir of Kuwait Told about Her Armenian Grandmother, who Survived the Armenian Genocide
Kim Kardashian Visits White House with Prisoners She Helped Free
Joaquín Caparrós Appointes as Armenian National Team Head Coach
Armenian Coat of Arms Printed on Famous American Rapper's Jacket
Wind: 6 km/h