Albert Poghosyan: May the Friendship Between Kazakhstan and Armenia Live Long
"Armedia" IAA presents an exclusive interview with Albert Poghosyan, member of the Armenian community of Almaty city. The Interview was conducted during the "5th Congress of Leaders of World and Traditional Religions" in Astana in the framework of "Armenia-Kazakhstan: Cooperation Platforms" project, with the support of Embassy of Kazakhstan in Armenia.
- You are the first Armenian who was born in Almaty. Will, you, please, share the story of your family, how did you get here?
- In 1937, the Council of Ministers of the USSR exiled us, Armenians, from our homeland. In the decision it was stated that it is for the sake of borders' security. 32 families were sent away from their villages, among them was our 5-member-family, the youngest one being only 3 years old. We were deported from Armenia in boxcars. We were allowed to take only the most necessary things and be ready within 24 hours. We were on the way to Kazakhstan for 3 months. When we at last came there, we started living in barracks in the city of Alma-Ata. According to the stories of old men, it was autumn then, and I was born on the 2nd of February. At that time the head of the Republic was Levon Mirzoyan, and our elderly people appealed to him for a help. We chose Molotov farm, which is between two rivers, a beautiful valley near Alma-Ata.
How did the Kazakhs welcome us? I will keep repeating that every now and then - perfectly! While the Kazakhs themselves lived in mudbrick houses in poverty, each of them helped as much as could: someone brought a chicken, someone a lamb, and someone shared meal. Thanks to the Kazakh nation, we were not lost here. We slowly began to settle down, planting tomatoes, cucumbers, building a mill. Until now, we remember the kindness of these people, many of whom are still alive. Sometimes we visit this village, take gifts with us and lay a long table near the river together - about 300 people. That’s how we express our gratitude to the land that nourished us, though we are still in in an eternal debt. We pass these traditions to our children. I am very fluent in Kazakh and it is also very important. If you live in a one place, you should learn the local language.
- What is the life like for an Armenian in the independent Kazakhstan?
- Of course, being born and raised in the Soviet era, I am proud of the time during which my ancestors and we used to live. Following the acquisition of Kazakhstan's independence, a dilemma arose: how to live? There are many ethnic Koreans, Uighurs, Armenians, Tatars, Tajiks, etc. The greatest merit of our President Nazarbayev is that he combined all into one fist, turning into reality the idea of tolerance so that each national could preserve his identity and culture. Thanks to our activists, we founded our cultural center in Alma-Ata. I know Armenians who run theaters which is a very big business in Kazakhstan. I, as an Armenian by nationality, am very proud of our traditions, and I support them, learn, share my experience with children and grandchildren. It's probably the only country where everyone is equal before the law.
In our cultural center the Armenian culture is developing. But the culture is a general thing which knows no nationality or borders. First, we have opened a Sunday school in Armenian language, where Kazakh language is also taught. We created our own ensemble "Nairi". In carrying out the activities of the state, city, regional scale (New Year, 1st of May, Victory Day and so on) our Armenian cultural center has always been actively involved. We show our cuisine, culture, put on our costumes, and it has always been very nice and very cool. In our Armenian center we hold a lot of meetings, invite members of other national-cultural centers regardless of nationality or religion. Even people like Charles Aznavour has visited us here. That meeting gave us the opportunity to talk to him, and in general, any face to face meeting inspires us greatly. I, as an aged man, believe that as soon as there is a superiority of one religion over another, a tragedy begins. We live here as one big family, I have many Kazakh friends. May the friendship between Kazakhstan and Armenia live long!
- Tokayev Sworn in As Kazakhstan’s President Kassym-Jomart Tokayev took the oath of office as Kazakhstan’s president at a ceremony in the Independence Palace in the capital Nur-Sultan on Wednesday.
- Kazakhstan to Hold Early Presidential Election on June 9 Interim president, Kassym-Jomart Tokayev, calls a snap election, citing the need to eliminate political uncertainty.
- Nazarbayev's Resignation to Improve Kazakhstan's Image: Marat Shibutov, Political Scientist (EXCLUSIVE) Kazakh political scientist Marat Shibutov, in an interview with "Armedia" IAA comments on Nursultan Nazarbayev’s resignation.
- More than 40 Countries Cooperate with Eurasian Economic Union 2017 was successful. Trade turnover between our countries grew 27%. We see great interest towards our union, today more than 40 countries are cooperating with us.
- Karen Karapetyan Receives Kazakhstan Ambassador The Premier highlighted the diversification of bilateral economic cooperation, stressing that the current level of bilateral trade turnover does not correspond to the existing potential.
Ararat Mirzoyan Has Private Talk with President of National Assembly of Artsakh
Chair of Artsakh NA Standing Committee on State and Legal Affairs Emphasized the strengthening of the Inter-Committee Ties with Armenia's NA
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Spanish Senate Ratifies Armenia-EU CEPA
"Aurora" to Kick off a Global Series of Events on October 19 in New York City
Trump Declines to Commit to a Peaceful Transition of Power after Election
EU Believes Lukashenko’s Inauguration Lacks Legitimacy
Biden leads Trump by 10 points nationally in new pair of polls
Coronavirus Situation Worsens in Armenia, Says PM
Artsakh Confirms 9 New Cases of COVID-19 in Past 24 Hours
Israel Tightens Coronavirus Restrictions as Cases Continue to Surge
Trudeau: Canada Already in Second Wave of Coronavirus
Armenia Records 48251 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Obama Shares His Phone Number
Armenia’s New Ambassador to Bulgaria Presents Credentials to President Rumen Radev
Russia’s FM Discussed with Azerbaijani Side NK Status Issue and Liberation of Surrounding Territories: Russian MFA
Military Exercises "Shant-2020" To Be Held On November 16-20 In Armenia
Armen Sarkissian: Armenia and China Have Great Potential for Cooperation
US-Based SADA Systems Plans to Establish Global Center for Technological Solutions in Armenia
Weather forecast in Armenia
Declaration on Proclamation of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic
Statement of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the Violation of the Rights of the Officer Gurgen Alaverdyan who Appeared Under the Azerbaijani Jurisdiction
Artsakh Women Participate in 1-Week Combat Preparedness Training at Initiative of Armenian PM’s Wife (PHOTOS)
Ancient Armenian Fortress Surfaces from under Lake Van
Armenia Joined International Religious Freedom Alliance’s COVID-19 and Religious Minorities Pandemic Statement
The Government of Artsakh Also Contributes to the Preservation of the Armenian Community of Lebanon. President Harutyunyan Convoked a Consultation
Artsakh Republic President Approved the New Composition of the Security Council of the Country
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Internal investigation Will Reveal All Circumstances of Disappearance of the Armenian Officer - Defense Minister
Azerbaijani Side Launches New Fortification Works on the Border, Armenian Side Suspends such Activities
Wind: 4 km/h