The Geography of Turkey's Aggressive Ambitions is Expanding
The Syrian government has already called on Turkey to withdraw its troops from Syria, stating that its presence there is an obvious violation of international law. The Syrian Foreign Ministry has stated that the presence of Turkish troops in Syrian territories is not justified as Turkey claims that it has removed the threat to its borders by defeating terrorists in Afrin.
In spite of Damascus's calls, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has already announced that he intends to strike new Syrian territories. Erdogan called the liberation of Afrin as the main stage of the actions in the frames of the "olive branch" operation. According to him, "3622 terrorists have been killed since the launch of these hostilities." Erdogan underlined that the fight against terrorism will continue also in other regions of Syria, which is near the Turkish border.
Talking about the refugees, the Turkish president underscored that they gradually return to their homes.
It should be noted that Turkey does not intend to be limited only by conducting military operations in Syria. Erdogan has already stated that he does not exclude the possibility of launching anti-terrorist operations in Iraq. He said that Turkish military forces can launch operations in the Sinjar district of Iraq against the Kurdish Workers' Party, which, by the way, Turkey considers a terrorist. Erdogan added that Ankara has discussed with Baghdad the issue of carrying out anti-terrorist operations in the north of Iraq. The Turkish president warned that if Baghdad is not able to resolve the issue, the Turkish troops will do it.
Remind, that earlier Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim stated that Ankara did not intend to carry out military operations in Sinjar without Baghdad’s consent. He stressed that Turkey respects the sovereignty of Iraq and will not take any step that can break it. Yildirim added that Turkish and Iraqi authorities have not yet reached an agreement on military action in Iraq.
Iraqi Prime Minister Heidal Al-Abadi, in turn, said that Iraqi government forces had completely liberated the territory of the country and were able themselves to resist local militants. He was opposed to Turkey to "cross the line of its powers".
Despite the statement of the Prime Minister of Iraq, Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan has already stated that if necessary, his country's armed forces can enter Sinjar without warning.
In response, the Iraqi Defense Ministry has promised to respond to any military intervention assessing such actions as "encroachment on Iraq's sovereignty, regime, constitution and territorial integrity."
However, declaring itself the need to reach an agreement in advance, Turkey once again assumed the role of the final decision maker. Erdogan stated that Turkey has launched a land attack in Sinjar, the north-west of Iraq.
Remind that in 2014 the militants of the Islamic State terrorist organization were captured Sinjar. At that time the local Yezidi were subjected to mass repression. By the end of 2015, the city was liberated by the forces of the Kurdish Workers' Party.
- Leaders of EU Members Call for Ceasing Hostilities in Syria's Idlib The offensive by Syrian President Bashar Assad's forces is aimed at recapturing remaining opposition-held areas and has triggered the biggest single wave of fleeing civilians in Syria's nine-year war.
- Russia, Turkey, Iran Working to Agree on Date for Syria Summit Russian Presidential Envoy for the Middle East and Africa and Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov earlier told TASS that a trilateral Russian-Iranian-Turkish summit could be held in Tehran in early...
- Turkey will Hit Syrian Government Forces Anywhere if Troops Hurt: Erdogan Speaking in Ankara, Erdogan said Turkey is determined to push Syrian government forces beyond Turkish observation posts in the northwestern Idlib region by the end of February. “We will do this by any...
- The Syrian Army Took Control Of Saraqeb The Syrian army has taken control of a strategic northwestern crossroads town, its latest gain in a weeks-long offensive against the country's last major rebel bastion,
- Joint Turkish-Russian Patrol In Northern Syria Was Canceled Joint Turkish-Russian patrol scheduled for today in northern Syria’s Ayn al-Arab was canceled after Syrian regime attacks targeted Turkish soldiers in Idlib
- Putin Expresses Concern Over Aggressive Actions in Idlib During Talks with Erdogan The parties also agreed to intensify inter-agency consultations over Idlib, particularly with respect to military institutions.
- EU to Give Turkey More Time to Avoid Tax Blacklisting The tax haven debate adds to a number of issues in which the EU faces the choice between enforcing its own rules and jeopardizing an agreement under which Turkey helped stem the flow of migrants to Europe...
- At Least Three Dead as Turkish Jet Skids off Runway in Istanbul The majority of people on board were Turkish, but local media quoted the airline's records as saying there were 22 foreign passengers from 12 other countries. A small number of children are believed to...
- Turkish Military Convoy Crosses Syria Border, Heads to Southern Idlib - TV Earlier, Al Mayadeen TV channel reported that the Syrian forces had surrounded a Turkish observation point in Maar Hattat, a Syrian village in the Idlib governorate. On December 23, another Turkish post...
- Trump Discusses Syria, Libya with Turkey's Erdogan "The two leaders discussed the need to eliminate foreign interference and maintain the ceasefire in Libya. The leaders agreed that the violence being carried out in Idlib, Syria must stop," White House...
- Iraq Closes Southern Border with Iran to Travelers The security source said Tehran had demanded the closure because of ongoing public protests in both Iran and Iraq.
- Pentagon Now Says 50 service Members Suffered Brain Injuries from Iran Attack Officials have acknowledged that it can take time for the concussion-like symptoms to present themselves.
- Thousands Rally against US Military Presence in Iraq The rally comes after Influential Iraqi Shia cleric Muqtada al-Sadr called on Iraqis to stage “a million-strong, peaceful, unified demonstration to condemn the American presence and its violations”...
- U.S. Military Resumes Joint Operations With Iraq In a speech to his cabinet, he suggested that Parliament’s decision might not be the final word, saying “If we reach the decision to get the forces out of Iraq, then this would be the decision of the...
- U.S. Looks at Cuts to Military Aid to Iraq The emails assert that no final decision has been made, but top administration officials have ordered a review of what funds may be held or reallocated in the event Iraq requires the U.S. troops be removed.
Iran Records 5th Coronavirus Death
"Interaction between Armenia and Artsakh is the key to our people’s security": Nikol Pashinyan
Ara Shahverdyan, Robert Beglaryan Elected Members of Iranian Parliament
Azerbaijan Violates Truce 190 Times Past Week
Coronavirus: China Reports Drop in Recorded Cases as toll Reaches 2,345
Armenia's Ombudsman Visits Artsakh Military Units
Joint Meeting of the Security Councils of Artsakh, Armenia held in Stepanakert
Armenian Embassy in Iran Urges Armenia Nationals to Stay in Touch
Putin Expresses Concern Over Aggressive Actions in Idlib During Talks with Erdogan
First European Dies from Coronavirus in Italy
David Yurchenko to Play for Armenian National Team
Armenia’s DM Instructs Strengthening Discipline and Growth of Quality of Operative-Intelligence Works at Military Police
Mher Grigoryan Attending The Meeting of The Council of the Eurasian Economic Commission
ANCA Calls on US to Match Armenia and Azerbaijan Military Assistance
Putin, Macron and Merkel Call for Resuming Political Dialogue on Libya: Kremlin
Iran Confirmed 13 More New Coronavirus Cases
Iran's President Casts His Vote in Legislative Elections
Miroslav Lajcak Pay An Official Visit To Armenia
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Armen Sarkissian Sent a Letter of Condolences on the Demise of the Renowned Conductor Yuri Davtian
Garo Paylan Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize: Organizations Can Join the Initiative and Give Their Vote to Him
Because of the Armenian Genocide Azerbaijani-Turkish Designer Says He Will Never Make a Dress for Kim Kardashian
The King of Jordan: “The Saint Karapet Armenian Apostolic Church in Jordan is the Testament to the Enduring Armenian History in our Country”
Death to Armenia: Pan-Turkic Fascists in Iran Attemted to Play an Armenophobic Trick
The Jewish Press: Turkey Working to Take Over Armenian Quarter in Jerusalem’s Old City
Turkey's First Professional Boxer Garbis Zakaryan Dies at 90
Syrian-Armenian Soldier Killed in Idlib During Firefight with Terrorists
The people of Artsakh have never participated in the elections of Azerbaijan either now, or throughout the entire history of the Republic of Azerbaijan: Anna Naghdalyan
Garbis Zakaryan - Turkey's First Professional Boxer
"Yerevan-2800" Silver Collector Coin Takes 3rd Place
Wind: 4 km/h