Suspension of Turkey’s NATO Membership is Not Realistic in the Near Future
Tensions have recently escalated in the Turkish-American relations due to Russian S-400 systems supply to Turkey. "Armedia" IAA hosted Milena Ayvazyan, a Turkologist at Razminfo website.
- The US Congressmen have offered to impose sanctions against Turkey, noting that if Ankara purchases Russian missile systems, the US must immediately impose sanctions on Turkey and remove it from the F-35 program. How will the S-400 deal affect Turkish-American relations?
- The US and NATO have been against the purchase of Russian S -400 "Triumph" anti-aircraft systems since December 2017, the signing of the respective Turkey-Russia agreement. Prior to the Congressmen’s appeal several US senators had also submitted a bill to ban supply of US F-35 fighter jets until Turkey refused to give up S-400s deal. Two days later, on April 1, the US suspended supply of the F-35 to Turkey. F-35s will not be supplied to Turkey until November 1. That is to say, Turks have already received 4 units, but they are still in America, where Turkish pilots are being trained.
Such statements and projects have been particularly intense recently, as Turkey plans to receive the Russian S-400s in July. The US has long been threatening Turkey with sanctions, but I have to note that Turkish top-ranking officials, as well as president Recep Tayyip Erdogan, state almost every day that the Russian system deals have already been made and Turkey will not step back. To settle the issue Turkey proposes to set up a corresponding council that will deal with this issue. Two days ago, the US had called on Turkey to postpone the supply of S-400s to be able to set up the council, but Turkey rejected it.
This topic has now led to a political conflict in the relations of the two countries. Possible sanctions include termination of supply of the F-35s. That is, they can be assembled and prepared, but continue to stay in America.
Among other sanctions - for example, last year, when Turkey refused to extradite American priest Andrew Branson, the US imposed sanctions on two Turkish domestic and justice ministers and alleged that they were the main culprits of the priest's "illegal arrest". In addition, the US also doubled the metal prices for Turkey. The United States can still suppress Turkey with such steps, but I do not think it's realistic to suspend Turkey's membership to NATO in the near future, as the United States is threatening, as NATO needs Turkey just as much as Turkey needs NATO. .
- Large-scale naval drills kicked off In Turkey on May 13. What are the objectives of such military drills? Who do they address?
- Turkey conducted such large naval drills in February and March, and it was said at the time that it was the largest exercise in the history of the republic. The drills are significant because they are held simultaneously in three the three seas, Aegean, Mediterranean and the Black. But I have to say that more equipment was involved in the exercise in February.
In general, it is not necessary for the drills to address anyone. And the stated objective is to increase the tactics and operational level of naval forces.
- Artsakh MFA: the Statement of the MFA of Turkey Another Example of Ankara’s Biased Position Turkey’s opinion on this issue fully coincides with the viewpoint of Azerbaijan. By unconditionally supporting Azerbaijan and making statements that undermine efforts of the international mediators,...
- Erdoğan in Talks with European Leaders Over Refugee Cash for Turkey In a phone call on Tuesday between the French president, Emmanuel Macron, the British prime minister, Boris Johnson, the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, and Erdoğan, the leaders discussed the possibility...
- US Asks Turkey to Guarantee S-400 Systems Won't Come into Operation — Erdogan The Turkish president said on March 6, however, that Turkey would start deploying S-400 anti-aircraft missile systems in April.
- EU "Strongly Rejects" Turkey’s "Use" of Migrants at Border "The EU and its member states remain determined to effectively protect EU’s external borders," the ministers wrote in the statement.
- Erdogan Expects Ceasefire to be Declared in Idlib Following Moscow Talks Kremlin Spokesman Dmitry Peskov was hopeful earlier on Wednesday that talks between Presidents Vladimir Putin of Russia and Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, scheduled for March 5, would make it possible...
- WSJ: Trump’s Popularity Ticks Up During Coronavirus Crisis Approval of Mr. Trump’s handling of the outbreak has risen by 8 percentage points in weekly Economist/YouGov surveys over the course of March, standing at 49% in a poll that ended Tuesday, with 44% disapproving.
- Trump Cancels G7 at Camp David over Coronavirus The G7 is made up of the United States, Italy, Japan, Canada, France, Germany, Britain as well as the European Union.
- U.S. Suspending Visa Services Worldwide due to Coronavirus The State Department spokeswoman said U.S. missions abroad will continue to provide emergency visa services “as resources allow,” and that the services to U.S. citizens will remain available.
- Trump Says He Might Keep Others from Listening in on Calls Robert O’Brien, Trump’s national security adviser, said the president can conduct whatever phone calls he wants without other people being on the line.
- The White House Reacted To The Resolution, Limiting President Trump’s War Fighting Abilities In Iran The White House slammed a House resolution passed Thursday that would limit President Trump’s war fighting abilities in Iran, calling it a "misguided" measure that would undermine presidential authority,...
- S-400 System May be Delivered to Turkey on Tuesday, Newspaper Says The S-400 system was loaded onto two cargo planes on Monday night. The planes are expected to depart for Turkey from an airbase near the Russian city of Tver on Tuesday, Haberturk added.
- Turkey-Russia: What Does Their Recent Rapprochement Mean? Thematic coverage of Russia-Turkey bilateral negotiations can be divided into two broader groups: military-political and economic one.
- Russia-Turkey Ties Grow Stronger Despite Attempts to Spoil Them: Erdogan Ankara and Moscow on Tuesday signed a number of agreements, including in the areas of communications, sports and social policy.
- Putin, Rohani, Erdogan To Meet In Turkey On April 4 A day ahead of the summit, Putin and Erdogan are scheduled to meet in bilateral talks in the Turkish capital as part of the Turkish-Russian High-Level Cooperation Council.
- Turkish Foreign Minister to Leave for Russia with an Official Visit "Turkey attaches great importance to relations with Russia. Our Foreign Minister will pay a visit to Moscow from March12 to 14, during which he will discuss preparations for the summit meeting of the Cooperation...
Kim Kardashian Shares App Results that Shows Her Nationality
Russia's Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin Dances to Armenian Song (VIDEO)
Comment by the Spokesperson of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia on the Azerbaijani Disinformation
Reuters: Elizabeth II To Address The Nation Over Coronavirus
Peru Limits Movement by Gender to Stem Coronavirus Spread: BBC
Azerbaijan Tries To Cover Up Its Own Actions By Spreading Desinformation
Criminal Cases Initiated On Incidents During Artsakh Elections
Works are Being Carried out at Bagratashen Checkpoint to Reduce Pile-ups on the Territories of Noth Armenia and Georgia
Larsi Highway Is Open Only For Trucks
Ex-chief of Armenian Army's General Staff on Four-Day Artsakh War
Merkel Ends Her Self-Quarantine, Returns to Chancellery: Reuters
Spain Reports 117,710 Total Cases of Coronavirus, Surpassing Italy: Euronews
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Sarkissian had a Conversation with the Co-Chair of the David Geffen Medical Center at the University of California (UCLA) Dr. Eric Esrailian
OPEC+ Talks May be Held Next Week
NATO Ministers of Foreign Affairs Agree on New Measures to Support Georgia and Ukraine in the Context of Black Sea Security
Pashinyan Gets Acquainted With Repair Works of Lung Ventilation Devices
Australian State MP Hugh McDermott Congratulates Artsakh On Elections, Calls Baku Blacklisting an Honour
Soldier Dies in Artsakh in Unknown Circumstances
World Bank Provides 3 Million USD to Armenia to Fight COVID-19 Spread
This Is Our Armenian Pizza: Turks Have Lashed Out at Kim Kardashian for Describing Lahmacun as Armenian Pizza (VIDEO)
Garo Paylan: Putin Made Erdogan Sit under the Statue of Catherine the Great who Symbolizes Russia's Victory over the Ottomans
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
Aliyev Angered by Armenian Toponyms on Azerbaijani Museum Maps, Orders New Ones (VIDEO)
French Armenians Alarm About Links Between Paris Mayor Candidate and Azerbaijani Authorities
March 15: Tehlirian’s Bullet Toppled Talaat to the Ground
Kim Kardashian Visits White House with Prisoners She Helped Free
Armenian Coat of Arms Printed on Famous American Rapper's Jacket
Joaquín Caparrós Appointes as Armenian National Team Head Coach
PACE Rapporteur: I Am Astonished And Appalled By The Azerbaijani Government’s Shameful Exploitation Of The Coronavirus Pandemic
Wind: 3 km/h