Suspension of Turkey’s NATO Membership is Not Realistic in the Near Future
Tensions have recently escalated in the Turkish-American relations due to Russian S-400 systems supply to Turkey. "Armedia" IAA hosted Milena Ayvazyan, a Turkologist at Razminfo website.
- The US Congressmen have offered to impose sanctions against Turkey, noting that if Ankara purchases Russian missile systems, the US must immediately impose sanctions on Turkey and remove it from the F-35 program. How will the S-400 deal affect Turkish-American relations?
- The US and NATO have been against the purchase of Russian S -400 "Triumph" anti-aircraft systems since December 2017, the signing of the respective Turkey-Russia agreement. Prior to the Congressmen’s appeal several US senators had also submitted a bill to ban supply of US F-35 fighter jets until Turkey refused to give up S-400s deal. Two days later, on April 1, the US suspended supply of the F-35 to Turkey. F-35s will not be supplied to Turkey until November 1. That is to say, Turks have already received 4 units, but they are still in America, where Turkish pilots are being trained.
Such statements and projects have been particularly intense recently, as Turkey plans to receive the Russian S-400s in July. The US has long been threatening Turkey with sanctions, but I have to note that Turkish top-ranking officials, as well as president Recep Tayyip Erdogan, state almost every day that the Russian system deals have already been made and Turkey will not step back. To settle the issue Turkey proposes to set up a corresponding council that will deal with this issue. Two days ago, the US had called on Turkey to postpone the supply of S-400s to be able to set up the council, but Turkey rejected it.
This topic has now led to a political conflict in the relations of the two countries. Possible sanctions include termination of supply of the F-35s. That is, they can be assembled and prepared, but continue to stay in America.
Among other sanctions - for example, last year, when Turkey refused to extradite American priest Andrew Branson, the US imposed sanctions on two Turkish domestic and justice ministers and alleged that they were the main culprits of the priest's "illegal arrest". In addition, the US also doubled the metal prices for Turkey. The United States can still suppress Turkey with such steps, but I do not think it's realistic to suspend Turkey's membership to NATO in the near future, as the United States is threatening, as NATO needs Turkey just as much as Turkey needs NATO. .
- Large-scale naval drills kicked off In Turkey on May 13. What are the objectives of such military drills? Who do they address?
- Turkey conducted such large naval drills in February and March, and it was said at the time that it was the largest exercise in the history of the republic. The drills are significant because they are held simultaneously in three the three seas, Aegean, Mediterranean and the Black. But I have to say that more equipment was involved in the exercise in February.
In general, it is not necessary for the drills to address anyone. And the stated objective is to increase the tactics and operational level of naval forces.
- ''California Demands Justice for the Murder of 1.5 million Armenians'': California Governor Signs Divestment from Turkish Bonds Act Into Law California is home to the largest Armenian-American population in the United States.
- Saudi Arabia Sold Building Where Khashoggi was Killed: Report The building, located in the upscale Levent neighbourhood, was sold more than a month ago to an undisclosed buyer for a third of its value
- Turkish Foreign Ministry Summons Lebanese Ambassador The Foreign Ministry conveyed its concern to Lebanese envoy Gassan Muallim, saying a group of people being able to approach to the entrance gate of the consular service raises concern in terms of the security...
- Erdogan's Party Seeks Expulsion of Former PM Ahmet Davutoglu In recent months, Davutoglu has accused the AK Party of deviating from its core principles, hitting out at the government's economic record and Erdogan himself.
- Erdogan Reports Negotiations with Russia over Deliveries of Su-57 Fighter Jets Erdogan attended the MAKS-2019 air show outside Moscow together with Russian President Vladimir Putin on 27 August.
- Foreign Minister of Artsakh Met with the Delegation of the Armenian Assembly of America At the request of the guests, the Foreign Minister presented the main directions and priorities of the foreign policy of Artsakh, touched upon the processes of peaceful settlement of the Azerbaijan-Karabakh...
- PM attends UN debate on Sustainable Development During his working visit to New York, Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan participated in the “UN Sustainable Development Goals: The 2020-2030 Vision” summit and delivered a speech. Below is the full text...
- PM speaks at Columbia University in New York Since 1994 when a ceasefire agreement was signed between Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijan and Armenia, the Nagorno-Karabakh peace process became an indispensable part of regional politics.
- PM Attends Armenia-Los Angeles Business Forum Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan’s working visit to the United States, Los Angeles, continues.
- Trump's Communications with a Foreign Leader Sparked Whistleblower Complaint The source who spoke to CNN would not disclose the foreign leader with whom Trump was alleged to have spoken.
- S-400 System May be Delivered to Turkey on Tuesday, Newspaper Says The S-400 system was loaded onto two cargo planes on Monday night. The planes are expected to depart for Turkey from an airbase near the Russian city of Tver on Tuesday, Haberturk added.
- Turkey-Russia: What Does Their Recent Rapprochement Mean? Thematic coverage of Russia-Turkey bilateral negotiations can be divided into two broader groups: military-political and economic one.
- Russia-Turkey Ties Grow Stronger Despite Attempts to Spoil Them: Erdogan Ankara and Moscow on Tuesday signed a number of agreements, including in the areas of communications, sports and social policy.
- Putin, Rohani, Erdogan To Meet In Turkey On April 4 A day ahead of the summit, Putin and Erdogan are scheduled to meet in bilateral talks in the Turkish capital as part of the Turkish-Russian High-Level Cooperation Council.
- Turkish Foreign Minister to Leave for Russia with an Official Visit "Turkey attaches great importance to relations with Russia. Our Foreign Minister will pay a visit to Moscow from March12 to 14, during which he will discuss preparations for the summit meeting of the Cooperation...
UN: Afghan Election-Related Violence Killed 85 Civilians
We Will Never Forget that 1.5 Million Armenians Were Murdered: Kim Kardashian
Nikol Pashinyan Met with President of the Artsakh Republic Bako Sahakyan (video)
Members of the Kurdish Community in Armenia Held a Protest Outside the US Embassy
Trump: Let 'Napoleon Bonaparte' Rescue Kurds
SDF Recaptures Ras al-Ain from pro-Turkish Forces in Northern Syria
Weather Forecast in Armenia: The Air Temperature Will Gradually Go Up by 2-3 Degrees
Trump Called Turkey’s President to Demand an End to Syrian Invasion
Georgian Prime Minister Arrived in Armenia (video)
China Urges Turkey to Halt Military Action in Syria-Foreign Ministry
Pelosi Says Trump Sanctions Package on Turkey "Falls Very Short"
Pro-Kurdish Protest Turns Violent in Germany: DW
Airbus Delegation to Visit Armenia at President's Invitation
Nikol Pashinyan Receives OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs
Three Medals from World Sambo Championships
Donald Trump Imposes Sanctions against Turkish Officials
The Military Exercises Raised our Confidence in Our Troops’ Organizational rResources and Collective Strength: Pashinyan
Alan Gogbashian will Not Assume the Position of British Ambassador to Armenia
GM Shant Sargsyan – World U18 Champion
UK Reviews All Arms Export Licences to Turkey: FT
I've Heard about Blood-Thirsty Turks since I Was 11: Cher Reminded about Armenian Genocide and Condemned Ankara’s Operations in Syria
Armenia Marks the 28th Anniversary of Independence
Google Changes Doodle to Mark Armenia’s 28th Anniversary of Independence
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
ANCA thanks Kim Kardashian for raising Armenia's worldwide recognition
Buckingham Palace ‘Displeased’ by Cameron’s Comments about Seeking Queen’s Help during Scottish Referendum
Strategic Military Exercises to be Held on September 24-October 5, Involving Government Agencies and Local Self-Government Organizations
''California Demands Justice for the Murder of 1.5 million Armenians'': California Governor Signs Divestment from Turkish Bonds Act Into Law
Citizens of Syria, Lebanon and Iraq Allowed to Obtain Armenian Passports in Their Countries Till Dec. 31
Military Rank of Lieutenant-General Conferred to the Artsakh Defense Minister, Commander of the Defense Army
Wind: 6 km/h