One Day Left Till Riga Summit...
There is only one day left till Eastern Partnership’s 3-rd Summit which will take place tomorrow in Latvia’s capital Riga. There are many predictions worldwide about the summit’s possible results that present opinions and comments from political experts concerning this prominent event.
According to the President of the European Council, Donald Tusk, the 3 EaP countries, Georgia, Moldova and Ukraine, have the right to aspire to the European Union membership. Tusk told Radio Free Europe, that his job was now to manage these expectations, because these three countries had previously accused the EU for failing to commit to membership. Several governments of the EU member states are reluctant to make such a commitment in the final declaration of the Riga meeting.
However, Donald Tusk expressed hope that Georgian and Ukrainian citizens would enjoy visa-free travel to the EU “as early as next year,” which means that on this particular issue the governments of the two countries would have to return empty handed to Kiev and Tbilisi. Meanwhile, Minsk may be granted a visa-facilitation deal with the EU.
As for the expectations from the EaP’s Summit, the President of Georgia told that he hoped they would see very principled steps in Riga, which would aim at strengthening peace and stability in Europe, informs geotimes.ge.
According to Giorgi Margvelashvili, the government did a good job in terms of implementation of visa-liberalization commitments in a very short period of time.
"The government, parliament and our society did a great job in a very short period of time and clearly showed to European partners the main aim of the Georgian political establishment. They made it clear that the European choice and the European integration process are clearly dominated in our politics, government and parliament. A serious job was done and I am sure that we will get an adequate response at the Riga summit", - said the President.
He expressed confidence that Georgia will not delay implementation of the rest commitments.
"Our European partners have concrete and specific criteria for evaluation of the efforts. It is important that we are talking about visa-liberalization process. The talk is not general and is linked to very specific details. Georgia has already fulfilled part of commitments, but a certain period of time is still needed.
In the context of tomorrow’s Summit in Riga, the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs has also expressed its view as one of the initiators of the Eastern Partnership. In Warsaw they believe that it is very important at the summit to discuss the post-Eastern Partnership agenda – what do we want to do further? And of course there is a need to clearly acknowledge the European choice and aspirations of the partners who have made significant progress on their European paths, namely Georgia, Ukraine and Moldova.
As neweasterneurope.eu reports, recognizing the principle of territorial integrity is another important issue that Poland would like to have inscribed into the declaration at Riga.
Anyway, the Riga summit is unlikely to deliver much in terms of concrete new policy. There will be surely many minor agreements both on bilateral and multilateral level, but any global changes, according to international media, will not happen.
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
- CNBC: Nine European Countries Say it is Time for "Corona Bonds" as Virus Death Toll Rises Corona bonds are a controversial issue that has been dividing the 27-country region. Conservative policymakers in countries such as Germany, the Netherlands and Austria are often wary of the idea of issuing...
- Cyber Rapid Response Team Established by Six EU Countries Formed by civilian and military experts, the CRRTs will join neutralisation and investigation of dangerous cyber incidents virtually or, if necessary, physically.
- Ireland Will Hold General Election On February 8 Ireland will hold a general election on Saturday February 8, 2020, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has confirmed, Euronews reports.
- European Commission: Von der Leyen's New Team Confirmed by European Parliament Incumbent Jean-Claude Juncker tweeted his congratulations.
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan Participated in the Meeting of the Eastern Partnership Foreign Ministers Within the framework of the 26th OSCE Ministerial Conference in Bratislava, Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan participated in the meeting between the newly appointed EU High Representative for Foreign...
- INSIGHT From Yerevan: 10th Anniversary of the Eastern Partnership “Insight from Yerevan: Earth” hosted political scientist, PhD Narek Grigoryan, to discuss the 10th anniversary of the Eastern Partnership, EU policy and RA-EU relations.
- The EU EaP Future to Be Built on Dreams and Hopes Today the EU problem is not having similar agreements with the Eastern partners and moving forward with common principles, but not losing partners in the region and finding ways to deepen cooperation...
- Azerbaijan And European Union at Odds Azerbaijan does not succeed in enshrining the desired wording in its documents with the European Union.
- Armenia-EU New Agreement Outlines a Very Good Path for Future Partnership Armenia decides itself how far to go in this partnership taking into account that the country is a member of the Eurasian Economic Union.
Lavrov, Pompeo Discuss Coronavirus Situation, Results of G20 Summit- TASS
Artsakh Central Electoral Commission Chairperson Receives Armenia MPs
3 Armenian Servicemen Wounded from Azerbaijan's Gunshots
Putin, Trump Discuss Oil Markets, Coronavirus by Phone: Reuters
Prince Charles Is out of Isolation after Contracting Coronavirus: CNN
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Government to Provide Support to Workers in a Number of Sectors, Pregnant Women and Job-Seekers: 3 New anti-Crisis Packages Adopted
New Dates For Tokyo Olympics Games Confirmed
Local Governments in China Issue Free Digital Coupons to Stimulate Consumption Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
Bloomberg: Bulgaria’s Euro Accession Dream Stumbles as Virus Spreads
Earthquake Hits 33 km North-East from Karvachar Town
European Commission Reallocated €140 million For The Most Immediate Needs In The Eastern Partnership Countries
The Amazing Finalists in the 2020 Hair-Freezing Contest
Another Armenia Soldier Diagnosed With Coronavirus
Yemen's Houthi Militias Claim Responsibility for Botched Attack on Saudi Arabia
WTI Oil Price Breaks $20 Barrier for First Time Since 2002
TASS: Tehran Calls US Sanctions Amid Coronavirus Pandemic ‘Medical Terrorism’
Bako Sahakyan Sent a Condolence Letter to the Family of Patrick Devedjian
North Korea Says Tested Multiple Rocket Launcher
Number of Coronavirus Cases in Armenia Reach 482
Garo Paylan: Putin Made Erdogan Sit under the Statue of Catherine the Great who Symbolizes Russia's Victory over the Ottomans
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
This Is Our Armenian Pizza: Turks Have Lashed Out at Kim Kardashian for Describing Lahmacun as Armenian Pizza (VIDEO)
Aliyev Angered by Armenian Toponyms on Azerbaijani Museum Maps, Orders New Ones (VIDEO)
French Armenians Alarm About Links Between Paris Mayor Candidate and Azerbaijani Authorities
March 15: Tehlirian’s Bullet Toppled Talaat to the Ground
Daughter of Emir of Kuwait Told about Her Armenian Grandmother, who Survived the Armenian Genocide
Kim Kardashian Visits White House with Prisoners She Helped Free
Joaquín Caparrós Appointes as Armenian National Team Head Coach
Armenian Coat of Arms Printed on Famous American Rapper's Jacket
Wind: 5 km/h