Turkey and the US Are Trying to Decide the Fate of Syrian Manbij
The United States and Turkey approved a road map for stabilizing the situation in the northern Syrian city of Manbij. According to the statement of the Turkish Foreign Ministry Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu and the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo confirmed their commitment to continue the joint fight against terrorism in the region, they also considered the recommendations of the Turkish-American working group on Syria.
According to Cavusoglu Ankara and Washington will start implementing the road map on Syrian Manbij for 10 days. During that period work will begin on the preparation for the implementation of the agreement on Manbij. They will decide when the military will enter there, after the departure of YPG, how they will monitor, who they will manage the region, etc. Cavusoglu noted that the US repeatedly did not keep its word on the YPG's exit, and if now, after agreeing to the road map, they again fail to fulfill it, this will again spoil Turkey's relations with the US. The minister added that the road map will assume the surrender of weapons by members of the YPG, and if the model of cooperation between Turkey and the US on the Syrian Manbij succeeds, it will be extended to other cities of northern Syria.
Аs it is known, relations between Turkey and the US are in crisis because of the support provided by Washington to YPG. Ankara considers YPG a terrorist group connected with the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) banned in Turkey. Washington explains its actions by combating the terrorist group "Islamic State".
Back in January this year, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced that his military will continue to conduct operations against the Kurds in Syria until its borders are "completely cleared of militants". Тhe Turkish president made such statement after the occupation of Syrian Afrin which was the result of the actions known as the "Olive branch". By the way, the Turkish Foreign Minister has already stated that in the case of the implementation of the road map, the forces of YPG will have to leave Manbij, otherwise Ankara will take the same steps against them as in Syrian Afrin.
It should be reminded that in March the US stated that American troops do not intend to leave Manbij controlled by the Kurds. The Turkish side responded by saying that the US should stop arming the Kurdish forces. At that time, a number of experts were inclined to believe that the situation was so intense that it could come out of control at a certain point, leading to a collision between NATO two members - Turks and Americans. Perhaps this danger was also realized by Turkey and the United States and this made them reach a certain agreement on Manbij regardless of the tension in the relations.
- Turkey Thankful to Putin for Supporting Memorandum on Syria's Idlib — Mevlut Cavusoglu Turkey is thankful to Russian President Vladimir Putin for supporting the Sochi memorandum on Syria's Idlib which allowed to prevent another humanitarian catastrophe in the Arab country, Turkish Foreign...
- Turkey Launches New Military Operation In Syria Turkey is ready to launch a new military operation against "terrorist groups" east of the Euphrates River, Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday,
- Merkel Asked to Putin Question in Russian German Chancellor Angela Merkel has asked Russian President Vladimir Putin a question in Russian. It was about his coat, RT reported.
- UN Names Human Rights Prize Winners for 2018 "I am proud to recognise the contributions of individuals and organisations that promote and protect human rights. Your work is an inspiration to us all," Maria Fernanda Espinosa, UN General Assembly president,...
- A Summit On Syria Will Be Held In Istanbul The leaders of Turkey, Russia, Germany and France are to hold a four-way summit on the conflict in Syria in Istanbul on Oct. 27, the spokesman for President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was quoted as saying on...
- Turkish President Erdoğan Meets Pompeo in Ankara Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu, head of National Intelligence Service (MIT) Hakan Fidan and Presidential Spokesman İbrahim Kalın as well as U.S. Special Representative for Syria James Jeffrey...
- Trump Meets with Freed American Pastor Andrew Brunson Brunson thanked Trump in the Oval Office, saying "you really fought for us, unusually so, from the time you took office." He also thanked members of Congress on both sides of the aisle who had worked for...
- Erdogan Suggests Referendum on Turkey's EU Accession Process "Countries that applied at the same time, or after Turkey, have become members of the EU before us. If you are not going to let Turkey in, just let us know so that we don't tire ourselves anymore. Apparently...
- European Parliament Voted To Cut Financial Support To Turkey The European Parliament has voted to cut financial support to Turkey by 70 million Euros (80.8 million dollars) due to concerns over human rights and rule of law in the country.
- Erdogan Has Limited Options to Save Turkey from Financial Crisis: Reuters Erdogan has limited options. Most involve a loss of face or a loss of sovereignty for which he alone would be blamed, having successfully marginalized not just a divided opposition but his own Justice...
- "I Always Prefer Direct Discussion and Not Making Diplomacy through Tweets": Macron French President Emmanuel Macron says that he prefers "having direct discussion" rather than discussing diplomacy through tweets with President Donald Trump.
- Trump Plans to Block Migrants from Claiming Asylum Between Legal ports of Entry Both measures are expected to be met with lawsuits in federal court. Under current law, immigrants are allowed to make a claim for asylum anywhere in the United States, no matter how they entered.
- Mattis Approves U.S. Troops for Border with Mexico US forces will be limited to a support rule because federal law prohibits the military from engaging in civilian law enforcement.
- Trump: "My Biggest Threat is the Fed" Higher rates can impact consumers by increasing borrowing costs, which have already ticked higher. Auto loan rates are at a nine-year high, and 30-year fixed mortgage rates recently climbed to their highest...
- Hillary Clinton's Security Clearance Was Withdrawn Former secretary of state and two-time presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has had her security clearance withdrawn "at her request," according to a letter by Charles Faulkner of the US State Department...
Iranian Military Ready to Protect Oil Tankers against Threats: Deputy Commander
Tonoyan: Armenian Unit Will Head to Syria Soon
Operative Communication between Armenia and Azerbaijan Functions Uninterruptedly
101-Year-Old Confuses Angela Merkel with Brigitte Macron
Trump Discussed key Issues with Putin, Macron and Merkel
If Brexit Deal Fails A National Election Will Be Asked
Working Consultation On Artsakh's 2019 State Budget
Armenia Has New Ambassador To Kazakhstan
Netanyahu Rushes Back to Israel after Burst of Gaza Violence
We are Unable to Change History, but History is Well Able to Change us to Make Our Future Better: Nikol Pashinyan
Nikol Pashinyan Attends Ceremony Commemorating World War I Ceasefire Centenary in Paris (photos)
MP Naira Zohrabyan to Move to Syunik
Death Toll Tops 200 in DR Congo Ebola Outbreak
"I Always Prefer Direct Discussion and Not Making Diplomacy through Tweets": Macron
Donald Tusk Not to Participate in Paris Ceremonies Today
Poroshenko Urges Residents of Russian-Occupied Donbas not to Participate in Fake Elections
Paris Peace Forum to Launch today in Paris
Gor Minasyan Wins World Vice Champion's Title
Nikol Pashinyan’s Working Visit to the French Republic Kicks off (photos)
President of Artsakh Observes Process of Tactical Maneuvers Involving Troops of Defense Army's Central Military Region
The Armenian delegation to PACE managed to prevent amendments to one of the resolutions proposed by Azerbaijani delegation. Arpine Hovhannisyan
Nikol Pashinyan’s Working Visit to Lebanon Kicks off - Acting Armenian PM, Lebanese President Meet in Beirut
Artsakh: Congratulatory Address to Catholicos of the Holy See of Cilicia Aram I on the 50th Anniversary of Ordination to Priesthood
“We Intend to Exempt Micro Business From Taxes” - Nikol Pashinyan Visits Charity Fair Organized by Syrian-Armenians
Trump Threatens to Call US Military to Close Southern Border as 4,000-Strong Migrant Caravan Pushes North
Kadyrov Invited Pashinyan and Macron to Participate in a Dance Festival in Chechnya
Saudi Missing Journalist Jamal Khashoggi: Explanation Expected from Saudi Arabia as Mike Pompeo Arrives
President of Artsakh Holds Working Consultation with Chairmen of Parliamentary Standing Committees and Heads of Factions
Declaration of Friendship Signed between Shekher Community of Artsakh and Arnouville Community of France
President Anticipates Active Participation of the International Financial Institutions to the Implementation of Different Programs in our Country
Wind: 9.66 km/h