Turkey and the US Are Trying to Decide the Fate of Syrian Manbij
The United States and Turkey approved a road map for stabilizing the situation in the northern Syrian city of Manbij. According to the statement of the Turkish Foreign Ministry Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu and the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo confirmed their commitment to continue the joint fight against terrorism in the region, they also considered the recommendations of the Turkish-American working group on Syria.
According to Cavusoglu Ankara and Washington will start implementing the road map on Syrian Manbij for 10 days. During that period work will begin on the preparation for the implementation of the agreement on Manbij. They will decide when the military will enter there, after the departure of YPG, how they will monitor, who they will manage the region, etc. Cavusoglu noted that the US repeatedly did not keep its word on the YPG's exit, and if now, after agreeing to the road map, they again fail to fulfill it, this will again spoil Turkey's relations with the US. The minister added that the road map will assume the surrender of weapons by members of the YPG, and if the model of cooperation between Turkey and the US on the Syrian Manbij succeeds, it will be extended to other cities of northern Syria.
Аs it is known, relations between Turkey and the US are in crisis because of the support provided by Washington to YPG. Ankara considers YPG a terrorist group connected with the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) banned in Turkey. Washington explains its actions by combating the terrorist group "Islamic State".
Back in January this year, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced that his military will continue to conduct operations against the Kurds in Syria until its borders are "completely cleared of militants". Тhe Turkish president made such statement after the occupation of Syrian Afrin which was the result of the actions known as the "Olive branch". By the way, the Turkish Foreign Minister has already stated that in the case of the implementation of the road map, the forces of YPG will have to leave Manbij, otherwise Ankara will take the same steps against them as in Syrian Afrin.
It should be reminded that in March the US stated that American troops do not intend to leave Manbij controlled by the Kurds. The Turkish side responded by saying that the US should stop arming the Kurdish forces. At that time, a number of experts were inclined to believe that the situation was so intense that it could come out of control at a certain point, leading to a collision between NATO two members - Turks and Americans. Perhaps this danger was also realized by Turkey and the United States and this made them reach a certain agreement on Manbij regardless of the tension in the relations.
- Israel Strikes ‘Dozens’ of Targets in Syria Video footage from Syria appeared to show a Syrian air defense missile crashing to the ground in a heavily populated area shortly after launching, which may account for at least some of the casualties.
- Two Armenian Priests Shot Dead by Terrorists in Syria Pastor of the Armenian Catholic Community of Qamishli Priest Hovsep Petoyan and his father Priest Abraham Petoyan were traveling in a vehicle en route to Deir ez-Zor when terrorists opened gunfire on their...
- Western Sanctions on Syria Only Hurt the People in Order to Push Regime Change Agenda – Assad to RT “This might also be a last-ditch attempt to push them to be against the government. They tried it last winter, they tried it before but it did not work because people knew the whole story and knew where...
- Erdogan Plans to Discuss Situation in Syria with Putin According to the Turkish president, Ankara "will honor its part of the commitments under the agreements that had been reached to the very end."
- Syrian Constitution Committee Needs no External Interference to be Successful - Ambassador "The Syria talks in Geneva will be getting on well if there is no external interference. Unless the constitution committee is pressured, its issues will undoubtedly be solved with success," he said.
- Erdogan Tells Trump Turkey Can’t Abandon S-400 Purchase "We explained to Trump that Turkey won’t back down as far as the S-400 systems are concerned. I told Trump how Turkey had come to the decision to buy the S-400 systems and he recognized our right to...
- Trump Offers Trade Deal, Sanctions Workaround to Erdogan The offer is likely to infuriate at least some of the overwhelming House majority that voted last month to impose sanctions on Turkey over its assault into Syria, and a bipartisan group of senators who...
- Putin, Erdogan hold talks on Syria by phone The Turkish presidential office said that at the talks the presidents discussed "bilateral relations and future steps to increase trade".
- Erdogan Says Turkey Will Let Refugees into Europe if EU does not Support It Turkey aims to establish a "safe zone" in northeast Syria, where it says up to 2 million Syrian refugees can settle once the region is cleared of the Kurdish YPG militia.
- State Department Opposes Turkey Sanctions, Genocide Resolution The measure, H.R. 4695, would sanction senior Turkish officials and prohibit them from entering the U.S. It would also bar the transfer of US defense materiel to Turkey for use in Syria, and it would require...
- Foreign Minister of Artsakh Met with the Delegation of the Armenian Assembly of America At the request of the guests, the Foreign Minister presented the main directions and priorities of the foreign policy of Artsakh, touched upon the processes of peaceful settlement of the Azerbaijan-Karabakh...
- PM attends UN debate on Sustainable Development During his working visit to New York, Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan participated in the “UN Sustainable Development Goals: The 2020-2030 Vision” summit and delivered a speech. Below is the full text...
- PM speaks at Columbia University in New York Since 1994 when a ceasefire agreement was signed between Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijan and Armenia, the Nagorno-Karabakh peace process became an indispensable part of regional politics.
- PM Attends Armenia-Los Angeles Business Forum Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan’s working visit to the United States, Los Angeles, continues.
- Trump's Communications with a Foreign Leader Sparked Whistleblower Complaint The source who spoke to CNN would not disclose the foreign leader with whom Trump was alleged to have spoken.
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Received Junior Diplomats of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia
Speaker of RA National Assembly Ararat Mirzoyan Meets with Speaker of RF Federation Council Valentina Matviyenko
Artsakh president Met a Group of Students From the Diplomatic School Under the RA Foreign Ministry
The President of Armenian Football Federation Resigns From Office
Nikol Pashinyan, Anna Hakobyan Visit Catholic Cathedral in Milan (PHOTOS)
Vladimir Putin Will Meet with Mehriban Aliyeva
Armenian PM’s Spokesperson Comments on Incident in Milan Involving Azerbaijani "Blogger"
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Armen Sarkissian Invited Businessmen to Make Investments in Armenia: Our Doors are Open for You
Trump Considering Withdrawing up to 4,000 U.S. Troops from South Korea
Presentation of Three-Year-Old St. Mary to the Church
President of Artsakh Signed a Decree on the 2020 Winter Draft and Demobilization.
Donald Tusk Elected President of European People’s Party
Nikol Pashinyan, Anna Hakobyan Watch "The Egyptian Elena" by R. Strauss at La Scala
Armenian PM, Mayor of Milan Discuss Cooperation Prospects
"It is Impossible to Settle the Nagorno-Karabakh Issue Without Hard and Consistent Work, Without Compromise, Mutual Respect, and Balance": Pashinyan
Artsakh will Never be a Constituent of Azerbaijan, and the Issue has no Military Solution: Serzh Sargsyan
Japanese Computer Scientist Takeo Kanade Named Laureate of Armenian Global IT Award 2019
Armenia Army Delegation Participates in Consultations Held at CSTO Joint Staff
PM Visits Mekhitarist Congregation
I Cannot Stop Cursing the Genocide Committed against Armenians: Fethullah Gulen's Letter Addressed to the Armenian Patriarch of Constantinople Was Found
"You and Erdogan Brought ISIS": Cher Comments on Murder of Armenian Priest in Syria
Armenian Genocide Resolution scheduled for a vote in US House of Representatives
Kim Kardashian Expects US House of Representatives Would Recognize Armenian Genocide
Only Turkish parliament can heal Armenian people’s wounds, says Garo Paylan
Two Armenian Priests Shot Dead by Terrorists in Syria
Artsakh Republic President Participated in the Opening Ceremony of the Library-Reading Hall of the "Matenadaran-Gandzasar" Scientific-Cultural Center
Reception at the Embassy of the Republic of Armenia to the USA in Honor of the Artsakh Republic Delegation
Impression is As if Authorities Want Quicker Settlement of Artsakh Issue to Live Freely: Vazgen Manukyan
Nikol Pashinyan: “Making Real Changes for the Sake of Humans, the State and the Church Has Been My Mission”
Wind: 6 km/h