EU Member-States to Improve their Security after Brussels Attacks
Six people have been arrested the other day in connection with the Brussels terror attacks, Belgian prosecutors have said today.
Belgium’s Interior Minister and Justice Minister offered to resign amid growing questions about why authorities failed to prevent the terror attacks, but the Prime Minister refused to accept the resignations.
France’s Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve in turn said there were no links “at this stage” between the plot and the terror attacks in Brussels and in Paris in November, CNN writes.
However, after these attacks most European Union countries announced plans for tougher anti-terrorism laws. Two days after the carnage in Brussels, Poland and Hungary in particular called for prolonged detention of suspects, immediate expulsion of foreigners and the closing of borders.
The laws would include powers for increased surveillance of foreigners, easier procedures for tapping mobile phones, and greater access to encrypted mobile data and the bank accounts of those suspected of links to terrorism.
Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban said the Brussels attacks "should be considered as an attack on Hungary as well," adding that Hungary must take "all necessary steps" to protect itself.
"The events in Paris and Brussels have settled the debate, the terrorism threat has grown," Interior Minister Sandor Pinter mentioned, The Deutche Welle reports.
Polish officials in turn stated they would work to stop anonymous use of prepaid cellphone cards and lift restrictions on the police's ability to search premises and make nighttime arrests. MPs may also reportedly be asked to change the constitution to extend the government's scope of action.
The package also includes funding for extra manpower and new technical equipment for security and border control forces, as well as the formation of a counterterror institute to analyze terror attacks.
"We can see how real the threat is against regular people, who have become the target of terrorists. We have to draw conclusions from this," Polish intelligence service coordinator Mariusz Kaminski said.
On March 25, another explosion was heard in the neighbourhood of Schaerbeek, north Brussels, where the police was carrying out operations to arrest the suspects of the terrorist attcks that took place several days ago.
In fact, all the European countries are currently under the huge threat of some other terrorist attacks, and all of the states are trying to their extent to struggle against the possible terror acts, improving their security conditions.
- Pompeo: US "Will Continue to Lead" Fight Against Islamic State "The United States will continue to lead the coalition and the world on this essential security effort," Pompeo said as he opened a day of talks in Washington.
- Turkish Police Detain 7 Over ISIS Links One suspect is believed to be responsible for ISIS training camps that train some 2000 foreign militants per year, the daily said citing a statement by Turkey's interior ministry.
- Pentagon Chief Urges Turkey to Stay Focused on Fighting Islamic State Relations between the United States and Turkey, allies within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, have become frayed by their diverging interests in the Syrian civil war.
- US Will Maintain Military Presence in Syria after the Defeat of IS "We cannot make the same mistakes that were made in 2011," Tillerson said to an audience that included former Secretaries of State Condoleezza Rice and George Shultz, noting that the Islamic State and...
- Isis Use of Hobby Drones as Weapons Tests Chinese Makers The first X-8 in a conflict zone was spotted in 2015 by Kurdish forces near the Mosul Dam in Iraq, while in October 2016 a bomb-laden X-8 killed two Kurdish soldiers and injured two French commandos in...
- Eurozone Economy Faces More "Prolonged Sag", Mario Draghi Warns Mr Draghi’s comments came after a key survey of business executives showed that the eurozone’s economy was close to stalling, dragged down by a steep drop in German manufacturing activity. The new...
- US Hits EU With Ultimatum US officials warned their EU counterparts that they may be left alone in the face of threats, supposedly including Russia, if Brussels rejected the US defence companies' participation in the creation of...
- Azerbaijan And European Union at Odds Azerbaijan does not succeed in enshrining the desired wording in its documents with the European Union.
- Short Brexit Extension is Possible but Conditional: Donald Tusk Tusk mentioned that he "did not foresee" the need for an additional extraordinary meeting to discuss Brexit after the summit.
- ''Hundreds'' Of Chinese, Russia Agents ''Operating'' In Brussels: Report Diplomats and military officials were advised to avoid certain parts of Brussels' European quarter, including a popular steakhouse and a cafe near the European Commission's main building, the report said....
Serzh Sargsyan Attends EPP Summit in Zagreb
PM Introduces Armenia’s Investment Opportunities to Italian Business Community
Our Government Implements an Open-Door Policy Towards Foreign Investments: Armenia's PM
Armenia Elected as a Member of the Council of the UNESCO International Bureau of Education
Armenia's Prime Minister Arrives in Rome
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Received Junior Diplomats of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia
Speaker of RA National Assembly Ararat Mirzoyan Meets with Speaker of RF Federation Council Valentina Matviyenko
Artsakh President Met a Group of Students From the Diplomatic School Under the RA Foreign Ministry
The President of Armenian Football Federation Resigns From Office
Nikol Pashinyan, Anna Hakobyan Visit Catholic Cathedral in Milan (PHOTOS)
Vladimir Putin Will Meet with Mehriban Aliyeva
Armenian PM’s Spokesperson Comments on Incident in Milan Involving Azerbaijani "Blogger"
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
President Armen Sarkissian Invited Businessmen to Make Investments in Armenia: Our Doors are Open for You
Trump Considering Withdrawing up to 4,000 U.S. Troops from South Korea
Presentation of Three-Year-Old St. Mary to the Church
President of Artsakh Signed a Decree on the 2020 Winter Draft and Demobilization.
Donald Tusk Elected President of European People’s Party
Nikol Pashinyan, Anna Hakobyan Watch "The Egyptian Elena" by R. Strauss at La Scala
Armenian PM, Mayor of Milan Discuss Cooperation Prospects
I Cannot Stop Cursing the Genocide Committed against Armenians: Fethullah Gulen's Letter Addressed to the Armenian Patriarch of Constantinople Was Found
"You and Erdogan Brought ISIS": Cher Comments on Murder of Armenian Priest in Syria
Armenian Genocide Resolution scheduled for a vote in US House of Representatives
Kim Kardashian Expects US House of Representatives Would Recognize Armenian Genocide
Two Armenian Priests Shot Dead by Terrorists in Syria
Artsakh Republic President Participated in the Opening Ceremony of the Library-Reading Hall of the "Matenadaran-Gandzasar" Scientific-Cultural Center
Only Turkish parliament can heal Armenian people’s wounds, says Garo Paylan
Reception at the Embassy of the Republic of Armenia to the USA in Honor of the Artsakh Republic Delegation
Impression is As if Authorities Want Quicker Settlement of Artsakh Issue to Live Freely: Vazgen Manukyan
Nikol Pashinyan: “Making Real Changes for the Sake of Humans, the State and the Church Has Been My Mission”
Wind: 3 km/h