EU Member-States to Improve their Security after Brussels Attacks
Six people have been arrested the other day in connection with the Brussels terror attacks, Belgian prosecutors have said today.
Belgium’s Interior Minister and Justice Minister offered to resign amid growing questions about why authorities failed to prevent the terror attacks, but the Prime Minister refused to accept the resignations.
France’s Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve in turn said there were no links “at this stage” between the plot and the terror attacks in Brussels and in Paris in November, CNN writes.
However, after these attacks most European Union countries announced plans for tougher anti-terrorism laws. Two days after the carnage in Brussels, Poland and Hungary in particular called for prolonged detention of suspects, immediate expulsion of foreigners and the closing of borders.
The laws would include powers for increased surveillance of foreigners, easier procedures for tapping mobile phones, and greater access to encrypted mobile data and the bank accounts of those suspected of links to terrorism.
Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban said the Brussels attacks "should be considered as an attack on Hungary as well," adding that Hungary must take "all necessary steps" to protect itself.
"The events in Paris and Brussels have settled the debate, the terrorism threat has grown," Interior Minister Sandor Pinter mentioned, The Deutche Welle reports.
Polish officials in turn stated they would work to stop anonymous use of prepaid cellphone cards and lift restrictions on the police's ability to search premises and make nighttime arrests. MPs may also reportedly be asked to change the constitution to extend the government's scope of action.
The package also includes funding for extra manpower and new technical equipment for security and border control forces, as well as the formation of a counterterror institute to analyze terror attacks.
"We can see how real the threat is against regular people, who have become the target of terrorists. We have to draw conclusions from this," Polish intelligence service coordinator Mariusz Kaminski said.
On March 25, another explosion was heard in the neighbourhood of Schaerbeek, north Brussels, where the police was carrying out operations to arrest the suspects of the terrorist attcks that took place several days ago.
In fact, all the European countries are currently under the huge threat of some other terrorist attacks, and all of the states are trying to their extent to struggle against the possible terror acts, improving their security conditions.
- Pompeo: US "Will Continue to Lead" Fight Against Islamic State "The United States will continue to lead the coalition and the world on this essential security effort," Pompeo said as he opened a day of talks in Washington.
- Turkish Police Detain 7 Over ISIS Links One suspect is believed to be responsible for ISIS training camps that train some 2000 foreign militants per year, the daily said citing a statement by Turkey's interior ministry.
- Pentagon Chief Urges Turkey to Stay Focused on Fighting Islamic State Relations between the United States and Turkey, allies within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, have become frayed by their diverging interests in the Syrian civil war.
- US Will Maintain Military Presence in Syria after the Defeat of IS "We cannot make the same mistakes that were made in 2011," Tillerson said to an audience that included former Secretaries of State Condoleezza Rice and George Shultz, noting that the Islamic State and...
- Isis Use of Hobby Drones as Weapons Tests Chinese Makers The first X-8 in a conflict zone was spotted in 2015 by Kurdish forces near the Mosul Dam in Iraq, while in October 2016 a bomb-laden X-8 killed two Kurdish soldiers and injured two French commandos in...
- European Union Launches “Team Europe” Package to Support Partner Countries with More than €20 Billion: Reuters Most of the money is being reallocated from other, less urgent EU foreign aid schemes in the EU’s common budget, but Borrell said the European Investment Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and...
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
- CNBC: Nine European Countries Say it is Time for "Corona Bonds" as Virus Death Toll Rises Corona bonds are a controversial issue that has been dividing the 27-country region. Conservative policymakers in countries such as Germany, the Netherlands and Austria are often wary of the idea of issuing...
- Cyber Rapid Response Team Established by Six EU Countries Formed by civilian and military experts, the CRRTs will join neutralisation and investigation of dangerous cyber incidents virtually or, if necessary, physically.
- Ireland Will Hold General Election On February 8 Ireland will hold a general election on Saturday February 8, 2020, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has confirmed, Euronews reports.
Resolution Recognizing the Independence of the Republic of Artsakh Was Submitted to the City Council of Italian Palermo
Joe Biden Calls on Trump to Negotiate Directly with the Leaders of Armenia and Azerbaijan to Resolve the Situation in Nagorno Karabakh
Prosperous Armenia Party to Send Delegation to Moscow to Discuss Situation in Artsakh
Artsakh's Army Improves Positions in Berdzor Direction
Sergey Lavrov and Jean-Yves Le Drian Discussed the Situation in Nagorno Karabakh
False Allegations of Turkish Defense Ministry Reflect the Dishonorable Nature of the Military-Political Leadership of Turkey: Armenia's MFA Spokesperson
Azerbaijani Armed Forces Create Bases for Terrorists, which Is of Serious Danger for the Whole Region
Bombing of Stepanakert Maternity Hospital Is Challange for Entire Civilized World: Artsakh's President
Turkish Bayraktars Carry Out Reconnaissance Flights Near Armenia Every Day
Statement of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia on the shelling of Artsakh’s Capital Stepanakert and City of Shushi by Azerbaijan
Armenian Response to the Bombing of the Stepanakert Hospital
Artsakh Ombudsman: Azerbaijani Armed Forces Struck More Than 15 Times on Different Parts of the Capital Stepanakert and Shushi Town
Continuing Hostilities in Karabakh Raise Concern and Regret – Peskov
Azerbaijani Forces Target Stepanakert's Maternity Hospital
The Condition of Armenian hit by Turk National with Hammer in France is Grave (video)
Armenia’s Security Council Secretary Received the Ambassador of France to Armenia
Azerbaijan’s Statement About Barda’s Shelling from Smerch MLRS by Armenian Armed Forces False: Shushan Stepanyan
Armenian President Congratulates Czech Counterpart on Statehood Day
Karabakh’s Defense Army Reports About 59 New Casualties, Total Number of Deceased Armenian Servicemen Reaches 1,068
Azerbaijan Fires a Missile from Smerch MRLS in the Direction of Artsakh's Capital Stepanakert
Armenians in Nagorno Karabakh Will Never Be Defeated: Kim Kardasian Posted President Sarkissian's Interview
Artsakh's Guardian Angel - St. Savior Ghazanchetsots Cathedral (Virtual Tour)
Kim Kardashian donates 1 million USD to "Hayastan" All Armenian Fund
Despite Your Best Efforts, Turkey, Azerbaijan... We Will Never Be Annihilated: Alexis Ohanian
Artsrun Hovhannisyan Presented Interactive Map of Military Actions (video)
Armen Knyazyan is Awarded with the Highest title of the "Hero of Artsakh"
We Hope Armenians Will Be Able to Defend Against what Azerbaijanis are Doing – Pompeo
Alexis Ohanian Calls on US to Stand Up to Dictators in Azerbaijan and Turkey and Rebuke Their Attacks on Armenians
Experts of the Human Rights Defender’s Office Have Identified Location and Time of Azerbaijani Criminal Ativities Towards Armenian Prisoners of War
Emmanuel Macron Proposes New Talks on Nagorno-Karabakh
Wind: 5 km/h