Molenbeek: Islamic Ghetto in the Heart of Belgium
Molenbeek is one of the nineteen municipalities of the Brussels metropolitan area and a hotbed of jihadist activity in Europe.
During the Industrial Revolution it was known as 'Little Manchester', by dint of the many thriving factories and warehouses that sprang up beside the newly-built waterway.
Today, ''Little Morocco'' would be a more appropriate soubriquet. For crossing the bridge into Molenbeek — as it is called — you feel as though you abruptly came out of Europe and entered some seething Middle Eastern or North African ghetto.
Many shop signs are in Arabic; the butchers are almost exclusively halal; there is a bustling, souk-style open market; full-face veils are worn as routinely as in Tangier and Istanbul, The Daily Mail writes.
The area, which is one of the most densely populated in the country, had an unemployment rate of 29 percent for men in 2013, compared to 22 percent in the rest of the area. Over 25 percent of the population is Muslim, many of whom are immigrants from North Africa and Turkey. There are 22 mosques in the area—more than four times the number of churches—and several have been suspected to be extremist recruiting grounds.
After several convicted and suspected terrorists were found to have lived in the suburb, Molenbeek received criticism in regards to combating Islamic terrorism and the radicalization of young Sunni Muslims. It has been taking place in private homes rather than in more open places, such as mosques.
According to Islam in Europe, Islamic extremism has become a subject of much consternation in Belgium, a country that is now a top exporter of jihadists to Syria. Over 440 Belgian citizens have traveled to fight in that nation’s civil war.
The mayor of Molenbeek, Françoise Schepmans, told that she believes certain residents of the area left to fight with ISIS in Syria and then returned to train others which is very dangerous. "The situation was left to rot too long, and we let radical Islamists take control," she added.
It should be reminded that Molenbeek became even more famous at the end of the last year, after November events. The recent Paris attacks have thrust Molenbeek into the international spotlight. Belgian authorities carried out a series of raids searching for key suspects believed to have lived in the area. Two people arrested have been charged with terrorism offences.
- Pompeo: US "Will Continue to Lead" Fight Against Islamic State "The United States will continue to lead the coalition and the world on this essential security effort," Pompeo said as he opened a day of talks in Washington.
- Turkish Police Detain 7 Over ISIS Links One suspect is believed to be responsible for ISIS training camps that train some 2000 foreign militants per year, the daily said citing a statement by Turkey's interior ministry.
- Pentagon Chief Urges Turkey to Stay Focused on Fighting Islamic State Relations between the United States and Turkey, allies within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, have become frayed by their diverging interests in the Syrian civil war.
- US Will Maintain Military Presence in Syria after the Defeat of IS "We cannot make the same mistakes that were made in 2011," Tillerson said to an audience that included former Secretaries of State Condoleezza Rice and George Shultz, noting that the Islamic State and...
- Isis Use of Hobby Drones as Weapons Tests Chinese Makers The first X-8 in a conflict zone was spotted in 2015 by Kurdish forces near the Mosul Dam in Iraq, while in October 2016 a bomb-laden X-8 killed two Kurdish soldiers and injured two French commandos in...
- Isis Founding Member Confirmed by Spies as Group's New Leader He is also known by the nom de guerre Haji Abdullah, and in some circles as Abdullah Qardash – although Iraqi officials suggest the latter was a separate Isis figure who died two years ago.
- Turkey Begins Deportation Of Captive Foreign Islamic State Terrorists To Their Home Countries The issue of the handling of Daesh/ISIS members and their families detained in Syria -- including foreign members of the terror group -- has been controversial, with Turkey arguing foreign-born terrorists...
- US Knows 'Almost Nothing' about New ISIS Leader The announcement of the new leader came in an audio message released last week by a new ISIS spokesperson, after Abu Hassan al-Muhajir, the spokesperson and right-hand man to Baghdadi, was also killed,...
- Erdogan Says Turkey has Captured Baghdadi's Wife A senior Turkish official said earlier this week that Turkey had captured Baghdadi’s sister, her husband and daughter.
- Newsweek Reveals Name of Likely Successor to Dead Islamic State Group’s Leader Abdullah Qardash, sometimes spelled Kardesh and also known as Hajji Abdullah al-Afari, was said to have been nominated by Baghdadi in August to run the group's "Muslim affairs" in a widely-circulated statement...
Nikol Pashinyan Will Answer People’s Questions Live On April 6
ANCA Calls On US To Reprogram $25mln In Armenia Aid ToFight COVID-19
The National Presented The Reflections Of Armen Sarkissian
We’re Analyzing Armenian National Team Matches Thoroughly: Joaquin Caparros
Russia MFA Comments Estonian "Data" On Moscow And Yerevan Relations
Vanadzor Mayor: There Are coronavirus Cases In Vanadzor
Embassy Of Armenia In Ukraine Worka On Organizing A Charter Flight Kiev - Yerevan
Steps to Boost Agricultural Production Discussed in Government
Armenia Records 770 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Commemoration of Raising of Lazarus
Kim Kardashian Shares App Results that Shows Her Nationality
Russia's Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin Dances to Armenian Song (VIDEO)
Comment by the Spokesperson of the Foreign Ministry of Armenia on the Azerbaijani Disinformation
Reuters: Elizabeth II To Address The Nation Over Coronavirus
Peru Limits Movement by Gender to Stem Coronavirus Spread: BBC
Azerbaijan Tries To Cover Up Its Own Actions By Spreading Desinformation
Criminal Cases Initiated On Incidents During Artsakh Elections
Works are Being Carried out at Bagratashen Checkpoint to Reduce Pile-ups on the Territories of Noth Armenia and Georgia
Larsi Highway Is Open Only For Trucks
Ex-chief of Armenian Army's General Staff on Four-Day Artsakh War
This Is Our Armenian Pizza: Turks Have Lashed Out at Kim Kardashian for Describing Lahmacun as Armenian Pizza (VIDEO)
Garo Paylan: Putin Made Erdogan Sit under the Statue of Catherine the Great who Symbolizes Russia's Victory over the Ottomans
Armenian who Was Born on Ararat Street: Sergey Lavrov – the Unsurpassed Diplomat
Aliyev Angered by Armenian Toponyms on Azerbaijani Museum Maps, Orders New Ones (VIDEO)
French Armenians Alarm About Links Between Paris Mayor Candidate and Azerbaijani Authorities
March 15: Tehlirian’s Bullet Toppled Talaat to the Ground
Armenian Coat of Arms Printed on Famous American Rapper's Jacket
Joaquín Caparrós Appointes as Armenian National Team Head Coach
Catholicos Aram I Held Phone Talk with Noubar Afeyan over Coronavirus Vaccine
PACE Rapporteur: I Am Astonished And Appalled By The Azerbaijani Government’s Shameful Exploitation Of The Coronavirus Pandemic
Wind: 9 km/h