''Garo Ermeni '': Garo Paylan's Mission in the Turkish Parliament
Garo Paylan, born in Istanbul in 1972, is one of three deputies of Armenian origin, who have been elected to Turkish Parliament in 2015. Paylan represents the pro-Kurdish Democratic People's Party.
In Turkey, the deputy is also with his nickname "Garo Ermeni" (which means Garo - Armenian), because from the very first day of work in the Parliament he began to raise questions relating to the rights of the Christian population of Turkey. He even came up with an initiative to recognize Christmas as an official holiday in the Turkish Republic. Besides, due to his efforts, the "Camp Armenia" in Istanbul, which had long been acting as an Armenian orphanage, was returned to the Armenian community. The newly elected MP also decided to fight against many historical distortions in Turkish textbooks, which, in particular, is related to the Armenian Genocide.
Before being elected to the Turkish parliament, Garo Paylan had been actively engaged in social activities, helping the Armenian community of Istanbul. He had long been the coordinator of the Armenian schools projects. He tried hard to find and get Armenian teachers, textbooks and materials, because the Turkish Ministry of Education did nothing about Armenian schools.
Besides, he was cooperating with Hrant Dink and supported him when in 1996 the latter decided to found the newspaper "Agos". Then, after Dink’s murder by a Turkish nationalist, Garo got involved in his protracted court case.
However, the decision to engage in politics was not by chance in Garo Paylan’s career. According to the deputy, he took this step for one purpose only - to change the situation in Turkey in regard to national minorities, and prevent further distortion of historical facts about the Armenian Genocide of 1915 committed by Ottoman Empire.
Recalling his family story, Paylan said that in 1969 his parents decided to move from their native Malatya to Istanbul, where the local Armenian community was the largest one, so that he, his brother and sister could grow in the Armenian environment and go to an Armenian school.
The MP admits that after moving to and exploring the Armenian Istanbul, the idea of fighting for the rights of Armenians living in Turkey immediately came to him, and his main mission became achieving the recognition of the Genocide of 1915, which the Turkish state is still trying to hide from their own people.
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan: Turkey Threw All That Out The Window Discussing this distorted interpretation, I think, does not even bring us honor because we know the history very well. Armenia’s Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan stated this in an interview with...
- Turkey to Renovate the Largest Armenian Church in the Middle East Surp Giragos and Mar Petyun Chaldean Churches had been awaiting restoration by the community foundations, which were unable to carry out the task due to insufficient funds.
- Mevlut Chavushoghlu: With Karabakh Conflict Unresolved, Normalization of Ties with Armenia Impossible Turkey rules out rapprochement with Armenia without final peace over Artsakh
- Armenia is Ready to Regulate Armenian-Turkish Relations without Pre-Conditions: Nikol Pashinyan Armenia is ready for negotiations for the regulation of relations but not through coercion and threats or by blockade, Pashinyan said.
- Armen Sarkissian's Message to Erdoghan: “Forgiveness comes after recognition” Swiss Public TV – RTS – has released excerpts from the interview with Armenian President Armen Sarkissian.
- Turkey Considers Purchasing 2nd Regiment of Russian-Made S-400 Air Defense Systems "Our work on the second [regiment] of S-400 systems continues," he said in an interview with the Turkish NTV television channel.
- Turkey Says Turning Back on S-400s 'Problematic' "It is a very problematic situation to turn back from the point we have come to. We invite (the United States) to distance themselves from threatening language such as sanctions," Akar told journalists...
- Turkey Arrests Another Former Intelligence Officer in Hrant Dink Murder Case Earlier last week, the Istanbul court ordered the arrest of two former gendarmerie intelligence officers – Volkan Sahin and Veysal Sahin – in the same case.
- Turkish Lira Exchange Rate Hits Another Record Low Against USD Earlier, Bloomberg had linked the ongoing devaluation of the lira to the fears that Ankara could become embroiled in the Nagorno-Karabakh (Artsakh) conflict between Armenians and Azerbaijanis.
- Turkey Denies Airspace for Transfer of Humanitarian Cargo to Armenia The airline did not give any sound reason. The humanitarian aid collected by the Armenian-American community was supposed to be sent to the civilians affected by the Artsakh-Azerbaijani war.
- Jeff Marootian - Special Assistant to the US President for Climate and Science Agency Personnel: Political Portrait Marootian is a New Jersey native. In 1997, he moved to Washington, D.C., to study public administration at George Washington University.
- Emil Jamil Lahoud: Armenian President of Lebanon Armenians, in turn, made a great contribution to the development of Lebanon. Throughout the history of living in the territory of the country, Armenians took an active part in the formation of the country...
- Kirk Kerkorian: to be Sad in a Mercedes is Better than in a Bus It should be noted here that the Armenian nation is proud of Kerkorian not for the fact that he was a successful businessman, but because he was a worthy Armenian. Kerkorian has greatly supported in the...
- Gevorg Nalbandian: an Armenian who Wrote an Anthem for an African Country The small Armenian diaspora in this exotic ancient country has always occupied an important place in all areas of state and cultural life, Dlmn.info notes.
- The Armenian Love of Aivazovsky She loved him very much and did not require more attention than he could give. She understood that she would never occupy a place in his heart equal to the painting. Aivazovsky in turn adored Anna and...
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Congressman Pallone Asks Biden Administration to Address Issue of Armenian Captives and Azerbaijan’s Gross Violations
Some Roads are Closed in Armenia
Foundations of State Strengthened Only by Highest Protection of Your Rights: Armenian Ombudsman
Course of Our History Has Shown How Strong Armenian Women Are: Armenian President
Body Search Operation Suspended Due to Fog and Poor Visibility
Armenia Records 175016 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Dear Mothers and Sisters, We wish that You Meet this Holiday of Reverence with Hope and Comfort: Karekin II
30-Meter-High Armenian Flag Raised in Shurnukh Village (video)
5-Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
There Should Be No Flags and Signs on Roads or in Immediate Vicinity of Villages in Syunik Province: Arman Tatoyan
Armenia Records 174679 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Bill Urging Azerbaijan to Release Armenian POWs Coming to Congress
Sunday of Steward
Some Roads are Closed in Armenia
Armenia’s President Requests Meeting With Homeland Salvation Movement Leaders- Ishkhan Saghatelyan
Pope Francis, Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani Hold Closed Meeting in Iraq
In Armenia the Air Temperature Will Gradually Go Down
Armenian, Iranian FMs Discuss Issues of Regional Security and Stability
Demilitarized Buffer Zone Needs to Be Created in Syunik Province to Guarantee Residents' Rights: Armenia Ombudsman:
A Wider Alliance Should Be Formed to Oppose Erdogan's Aggressive Policy
Armenia National Flag is Blessed in Iraq’s Erbil (PHOTOS)
Search Works of Bodies of Killed Servicemen Resume
4 More Bodies of Fallen Servicemen Found During Search Operations, Artsakh Authorities Say
Artsakh: Search Օperation not to Be Conducted Today Due to Weather Conditions
3,577 Bodies Passed Forensic Examination, DNA Analysis of Other 428 in Process
Garegin Nzhdeh Statue not Demolished in Martuni Town of Artsakh
Turkish State Channel Showed a Map of Expanding Influence on Armenia, Georgia and a Number of Territories of Russia
Search Operations for War Casualties in Areas Beyond Artsakh’s Control Suspended Indefinitely
Search Operations in South Artsakh Give no Result
Wind: 5 km/h