''Garo Ermeni '': Garo Paylan's Mission in the Turkish Parliament
Garo Paylan, born in Istanbul in 1972, is one of three deputies of Armenian origin, who have been elected to Turkish Parliament in 2015. Paylan represents the pro-Kurdish Democratic People's Party.
In Turkey, the deputy is also with his nickname "Garo Ermeni" (which means Garo - Armenian), because from the very first day of work in the Parliament he began to raise questions relating to the rights of the Christian population of Turkey. He even came up with an initiative to recognize Christmas as an official holiday in the Turkish Republic. Besides, due to his efforts, the "Camp Armenia" in Istanbul, which had long been acting as an Armenian orphanage, was returned to the Armenian community. The newly elected MP also decided to fight against many historical distortions in Turkish textbooks, which, in particular, is related to the Armenian Genocide.
Before being elected to the Turkish parliament, Garo Paylan had been actively engaged in social activities, helping the Armenian community of Istanbul. He had long been the coordinator of the Armenian schools projects. He tried hard to find and get Armenian teachers, textbooks and materials, because the Turkish Ministry of Education did nothing about Armenian schools.
Besides, he was cooperating with Hrant Dink and supported him when in 1996 the latter decided to found the newspaper "Agos". Then, after Dink’s murder by a Turkish nationalist, Garo got involved in his protracted court case.
However, the decision to engage in politics was not by chance in Garo Paylan’s career. According to the deputy, he took this step for one purpose only - to change the situation in Turkey in regard to national minorities, and prevent further distortion of historical facts about the Armenian Genocide of 1915 committed by Ottoman Empire.
Recalling his family story, Paylan said that in 1969 his parents decided to move from their native Malatya to Istanbul, where the local Armenian community was the largest one, so that he, his brother and sister could grow in the Armenian environment and go to an Armenian school.
The MP admits that after moving to and exploring the Armenian Istanbul, the idea of fighting for the rights of Armenians living in Turkey immediately came to him, and his main mission became achieving the recognition of the Genocide of 1915, which the Turkish state is still trying to hide from their own people.
- Zohrab Mnatsakanyan: Turkey Threw All That Out The Window Discussing this distorted interpretation, I think, does not even bring us honor because we know the history very well. Armenia’s Foreign Minister Zohrab Mnatsakanyan stated this in an interview with...
- Turkey to Renovate the Largest Armenian Church in the Middle East Surp Giragos and Mar Petyun Chaldean Churches had been awaiting restoration by the community foundations, which were unable to carry out the task due to insufficient funds.
- Mevlut Chavushoghlu: With Karabakh Conflict Unresolved, Normalization of Ties with Armenia Impossible Turkey rules out rapprochement with Armenia without final peace over Artsakh
- Armenia is Ready to Regulate Armenian-Turkish Relations without Pre-Conditions: Nikol Pashinyan Armenia is ready for negotiations for the regulation of relations but not through coercion and threats or by blockade, Pashinyan said.
- Armen Sarkissian's Message to Erdoghan: “Forgiveness comes after recognition” Swiss Public TV – RTS – has released excerpts from the interview with Armenian President Armen Sarkissian.
- Turkey Says Turning Back on S-400s 'Problematic' "It is a very problematic situation to turn back from the point we have come to. We invite (the United States) to distance themselves from threatening language such as sanctions," Akar told journalists...
- Turkey Arrests Another Former Intelligence Officer in Hrant Dink Murder Case Earlier last week, the Istanbul court ordered the arrest of two former gendarmerie intelligence officers – Volkan Sahin and Veysal Sahin – in the same case.
- Turkish Lira Exchange Rate Hits Another Record Low Against USD Earlier, Bloomberg had linked the ongoing devaluation of the lira to the fears that Ankara could become embroiled in the Nagorno-Karabakh (Artsakh) conflict between Armenians and Azerbaijanis.
- Turkey Denies Airspace for Transfer of Humanitarian Cargo to Armenia The airline did not give any sound reason. The humanitarian aid collected by the Armenian-American community was supposed to be sent to the civilians affected by the Artsakh-Azerbaijani war.
- Saudi Prince Calls for Boycotting Turkey Imports According to The New Khalij, the prince retweeted Erdogan’s remarks and wrote: "Therefore, I call for a full popular boycott for the Turkish products in order to protect the stability of Turkish economy...
- Emil Jamil Lahoud: Armenian President of Lebanon Armenians, in turn, made a great contribution to the development of Lebanon. Throughout the history of living in the territory of the country, Armenians took an active part in the formation of the country...
- Kirk Kerkorian: to be Sad in a Mercedes is Better than in a Bus It should be noted here that the Armenian nation is proud of Kerkorian not for the fact that he was a successful businessman, but because he was a worthy Armenian. Kerkorian has greatly supported in the...
- Gevorg Nalbandian: an Armenian who Wrote an Anthem for an African Country The small Armenian diaspora in this exotic ancient country has always occupied an important place in all areas of state and cultural life, Dlmn.info notes.
- The Armenian Love of Aivazovsky She loved him very much and did not require more attention than he could give. She understood that she would never occupy a place in his heart equal to the painting. Aivazovsky in turn adored Anna and...
- Seerpoohi Elias: Armenian Woman and the First Chief Justice of New Zealand “If it were not for the Armenian identity in the family, I would not have had such accomplishments,” said Seerpoohi Elias, the first female Chief Justice of New Zealand.
Foreign Ministers of Armenia and Georgia Held a Meeting in Tsinandali
Gagik Jhangiryan and David Khachatryan Elected Members of Supreme Judicial Council
Artsakh's Foreign Ministry Welcomes European Parliament's Position on NK Conflict
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Military Exercises do not Prove that the Turkish-Azerbaijani Leadership has Peaceful Intentions towards Armenia. Armenia's MFA
Bodies of 3 Civilians and a Serviceman Found in Artsakh
The Need for an Enduring Political Solution on the Status of Nagorno-Karabakh is Essential for Securing Regional Peace and Stability: U.S. Ambassador
Armenia's President Hopeful Armenian-American Cooperation to Promote Long-Awaited Peace and Stability in the Region
Iran’s FM to Visit Armenia on January 27
Artsakh to Unite Emergency Situations Agency and Police Under Single Ministry of Internal Affairs
European Parliament Condemned Azeri War Crimes and Called for Accountability – FM Spokesperson
Armenia Records 165711 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
European Parliament Strictly Condemns Turkey's Destabilizing Role in Nagorno Karabakh
Armenia Reports ‘Stable Situation’ Along Border with Azerbaijan
Armenian, Russian DMs Discuss Issue of Return of Captives During Phone Conversation
Bishop T. Vrtanes Abrahamyan appointed Primate of Artsakh Diocese
Primate of Artsakh Diocese of Armenian Apostolic Church is Dismissed
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Armenian, French FMs Discuss Post-war Situation in NK Conflict Zone by Phone
Deputy Health Minister Appointed Governor of Armenia’s Shirak
Lavrov: No Provocations Against Russian Peacekeepers in Nagorno-Karabakh
Azerbaijan President's Statement Contradicts point 8 of Statement Signed on November 9, 2020: Arman Tatoyan
Artsakh Authorities Find More Bodies of Fallen Troops in Ongoing Search Operations
Artsakh Security Chief: We Could Have Avoided the War
Colorado Identifies First Known Case of UK Coronavirus Variant in US
Armenia to Import 2,250 Goods from Iran Instead of Turkey
Bodies of 1,111 Fallen Armenian Soldiers Retrieved So Far: Artsakh Emergency Service
Let's Believe that 2021 Will Restore Our Lost Dignity
Armenian, Azerbaijani Intelligence Chiefs Discuss PoW Exchange at Moscow-Mediated Meeting
Armenia Ombudsman: What Azerbaijan Military has Done is Step with Clear Intention to Intimidate Civilians
Wind: 4 km/h