''Garo Ermeni '': Garo Paylan's Mission in the Turkish Parliament
Garo Paylan, born in Istanbul in 1972, is one of three deputies of Armenian origin, who have been elected to Turkish Parliament in 2015. Paylan represents the pro-Kurdish Democratic People's Party.
In Turkey, the deputy is also with his nickname "Garo Ermeni" (which means Garo - Armenian), because from the very first day of work in the Parliament he began to raise questions relating to the rights of the Christian population of Turkey. He even came up with an initiative to recognize Christmas as an official holiday in the Turkish Republic. Besides, due to his efforts, the "Camp Armenia" in Istanbul, which had long been acting as an Armenian orphanage, was returned to the Armenian community. The newly elected MP also decided to fight against many historical distortions in Turkish textbooks, which, in particular, is related to the Armenian Genocide.
Before being elected to the Turkish parliament, Garo Paylan had been actively engaged in social activities, helping the Armenian community of Istanbul. He had long been the coordinator of the Armenian schools projects. He tried hard to find and get Armenian teachers, textbooks and materials, because the Turkish Ministry of Education did nothing about Armenian schools.
Besides, he was cooperating with Hrant Dink and supported him when in 1996 the latter decided to found the newspaper "Agos". Then, after Dink’s murder by a Turkish nationalist, Garo got involved in his protracted court case.
However, the decision to engage in politics was not by chance in Garo Paylan’s career. According to the deputy, he took this step for one purpose only - to change the situation in Turkey in regard to national minorities, and prevent further distortion of historical facts about the Armenian Genocide of 1915 committed by Ottoman Empire.
Recalling his family story, Paylan said that in 1969 his parents decided to move from their native Malatya to Istanbul, where the local Armenian community was the largest one, so that he, his brother and sister could grow in the Armenian environment and go to an Armenian school.
The MP admits that after moving to and exploring the Armenian Istanbul, the idea of fighting for the rights of Armenians living in Turkey immediately came to him, and his main mission became achieving the recognition of the Genocide of 1915, which the Turkish state is still trying to hide from their own people.
- Armenia Is Coming Out from the Zurich Process with an Important Achievement The Turkish side, which at the time adopted the thesis of regulating all the problems with the neighbors, could not essentially reject the Armenian side's proposal, as a result of which the Zurich Protocols...
- Armenia Cancels Turkish-Armenian Protocols To note the protocols were pre-signed on October 10, 2009, but were not ratified by Turkey that brought forward a number of preconditions.
- Turkey Reaffirmed: Ankara Is to Be Blamed for the Failure of Zurich Process It is obvious that Ankara has started a campaign of distorting the facts and the reality concerning the Armenian-Turkish protocols to mislead the international community and to blame Armenia for the failure...
- Cavusoglu: Turkey Signed Zurich Protocols with Armenia on Certain Conditions ’’We have put a condition for the normalization of relations with Armenia that this country will leave the Azerbaijani territories and after that the relations can be normalized,” Cavusoglu said.
- We Will Enter the Spring of 2018 Without Armenian-Turkish Protocols: Nalbandian However, up to now, those documents have not been ratified, since Turkey came up with groundless preconditions that run counter to the letter and spirit of the Protocols.
- Turkey's Biggest Mobile Phone Importing Companies Cancel their Phone Orders According to the traders, the buyers in Anatolia also cancelled their contracts for the purchase of iPhone models.
- Erdogan Says Attempts to Exert Economic Pressure on Turkey Futile Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has described attempts to exert economic pressure on his country, including by means of destabilizing its financial system, as futile.
- Turkey, US Reach Preliminary Agreement on Sanctions Crisis Brunson, who led a Protestant church in the Aegean city of İzmir, is at the center of one of the most serious crises in relations between the NATO allies in years.
- Increasing Tension in Turkish-American Relations In the first case, Ankara categorically refused to release a US cleric detained for involvement with coup organizers and Kurdish militants in Turkey in 2016.
- Turkey Will Respond to US Sanctions Those sanctions were imposed earlier Wednesday in response to Ankara's refusal to release Andrew Brunson, an American pastor who had been imprisoned and then detained in his home by the Turkish government...
- When I Sit Around a Table with Other Armenians, Bread and Wine Taste Differently: The Armenian Speechwriter of 3 US Presidents Aram Bakhshyan was born in Washington, DC (USA), in 1944. His life is a vivid example of career rise and realization of personality: he was a freelance journalist, journal editor, art critic, teacher at...
- James Bagyan: The Only Armenian that Was in Space and Can Make Dolma James Bagyan was born in 1952 in Philadelphia. His parents moved to the USA from Trabzon. According to James himself, his grandfather, Nazareth Kundebagyan, emigrated from Arabkir to America in 1913.
- Vazgen Oganesov: An Armenian Who Did Not Let Hitler to Run Away from Berlin Vazgen Oganesov performed his last combat sortie during the battles for Berlin. On the eve of the Victory it was necessary to prevent the aircraft of Hitler's Reich from German besiegers headed by Hitler...
- Gevorg Nalbandian: an Armenian who Wrote an Anthem for an African Country The small Armenian diaspora in this exotic ancient country has always occupied an important place in all areas of state and cultural life, Dlmn.info notes.
- The World Famous Armenian Soldiers: Avakyants, Shekerdzhyan, Derunyan ''Armedia'' IAA is presentd a series of articles on the life and professional activities of high-ranking Armenian military servicemen who served in the armed forces of other countries.
Kofi Annan, Former UN Secretary General, Dies
Yerevan City Council Early Elections to be Held on September 23
Artsakh Republic President Met with the General Staff of the Republic of Armenia Armed Forces
Trump: US Will Pay Nothing for Pastor
Turkey Arrests Another German Citizen
Angela Merkel to Visit Armenia Next Week
Guinea Citizen Ilegally Crossed Armenia-Turkey Border
"Armenian Velvet Revolution" Book Released
Turkey's Biggest Mobile Phone Importing Companies Cancel their Phone Orders
Government Creates Favorable Conditions for Doing Business and Making Profits – PM Pashinyan
Nikol Pashinyan: "Over the past 100 days, we have solved the key problem: we have ensured the country’s normal functioning and economic development"
Armenian PM, Russia President Talk on Phone
Turkey Intends to Establish Close Ties with EU
Trump Says His Tariffs will Rescue US Industry
Main Side of the Conflict Cannot be Withdrawn or Put Aside from Negotiation Table – Artsakh Parliament Speaker
Dollar Drops in Armenia
At Least 25 Killed in Suicide Blast in Kabul
Turkish Court Releases Local Chair of Amnesty International
Information of the Artsakh Republic State Commission on Prisoners of War, Hostages and Missing Persons
President Sahakyan Visited the Town of Martouni
New Wave of Hysteria Raised in Azerbaijan Due to the Possible Visit of Russian Singer with Armenian Surname
Artsakh Republic President Sahakyan, Minister Minasyan Discuss Economic Cooperation Between Artsakh and Armenia
Robert Kocharyan Released: Court of Appeals Approves Attorneys’ Appeal
Israel: All the Citizens are Equal, but Jews are More Than Equal
Armenia PM: Every Penny Stolen from People Will be Returned
"We are Gure to Gain a Victory in our Common Mission" – Nikol Pashinyan Attends Event Dedicated to Armenian General Athletic Union Centenary
Greens Call for New Zealand's Parliament to Recognise Armenian Genocide
Foreign Minister of South Ossetia Congratulated on the 25th Anniversary of the Establishment of the MFA of the Republic of Artsakh
Artsakh MFA Received Congratulatory Message from Abkhazia MFA on the 25th Anniversary of the Establishment
Foreign Minister of Artsakh Received Coordinator of the "Congress of Refugees from the Azerbaijani SSR" NGO
Wind: 22.53 km/h