US Announces Death of ISIS Leader in Afghanistan
The U.S. confirmed on Sunday that coalition forces killed the self-proclaimed leader of the Afghan branch of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), The Hill reports.
The U.S. launched an airstrike in the eastern part of the Nangarhar province of Afghanistan on Aug. 25, resulting in the death of the terrorist group's leader in the country, Abu Saad Orakzai, the U.S. said.
"America and her allies are in Afghanistan to maintain pressure on the networked, trans-regional terrorists attempting to plot, resource and direct attacks from here,” said Gen. Scott Miller, the top U.S. military commander in Afghanistan, in a statement. "This is only part of the coalition’s work towards and Afghan security solution, but it is a vital part.”
The most recent strike marks the third time an ISIS leader in Afghanistan has been killed by U.S. forces, according to the release.
Miller officially replaced Gen. John Nicholson as U.S. leader in the 17-year war in a ceremony held on Sunday.
“We must ensure terrorists can never use Afghanistan as a safe haven,” Miller told officials at the ceremony, according to Stars and Stripes.
- Isis Founding Member Confirmed by Spies as Group's New Leader He is also known by the nom de guerre Haji Abdullah, and in some circles as Abdullah Qardash – although Iraqi officials suggest the latter was a separate Isis figure who died two years ago.
- Turkey Begins Deportation Of Captive Foreign Islamic State Terrorists To Their Home Countries The issue of the handling of Daesh/ISIS members and their families detained in Syria -- including foreign members of the terror group -- has been controversial, with Turkey arguing foreign-born terrorists...
- US Knows 'Almost Nothing' about New ISIS Leader The announcement of the new leader came in an audio message released last week by a new ISIS spokesperson, after Abu Hassan al-Muhajir, the spokesperson and right-hand man to Baghdadi, was also killed,...
- Erdogan Says Turkey has Captured Baghdadi's Wife A senior Turkish official said earlier this week that Turkey had captured Baghdadi’s sister, her husband and daughter.
- Newsweek Reveals Name of Likely Successor to Dead Islamic State Group’s Leader Abdullah Qardash, sometimes spelled Kardesh and also known as Hajji Abdullah al-Afari, was said to have been nominated by Baghdadi in August to run the group's "Muslim affairs" in a widely-circulated statement...
Artsakh Republic President Arayik Harutyunyan had a Private Meeting with Republic of Armenia Prime-Minister Nikol Pashinyan
PM Pays Tribute to Heroes of Sardarapat Battle
EU Stands by Armenia as Close and Reliable Partner in these Challenging Times
Armen Sarkissian: The Historic Significance of the First Republic is Invaluable
Armenia Records 8216 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
The Republic of Armenia Must Exist on the Planet Earth Forever: Nikol Pashinyan
We will face again the same threat if we do not take lessons from history - Serj Sargsyan
Artsakh President: The Philosophy of All Our Victories from Avarayr to Sardarapat and Shoushi is to be United and Consolidated, Strong and Steadfast
We Have Said Very Clearly – We will not Tolerate Any Threat or Use of Force: FM Mnatsakanyan
ECHR Ruling Should Become Basis to Eradicate Hatred Against Armenians in Azerbaijan: Artsakh MFA
May 28: the Day of Armenian First Republic
Cyprus Pledges to Cover Costs for Virus-Hit Tourists
Queen Allows Boris Johnson to Exercise in Buckingham Palace Grounds
Trump Threatens to Close down Social Media Platforms after Twitter Posts Warning under His Tweet
Restaurants, Shopping Malls, Public Transport Reopening in Georgia
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
California Governor Denies Sassounian Parole
Trump Wants Full Afghanistan Pullout
Thousands of Citizens May be Infected but do not Know About it: PM on Necessity to Wear Masks
Samvel Avanesyan Appointed Minister of Labor, Social Affairs and Housing of Artsakh
Ara Darzi, Outstanding Surgeon, the First Armenian in the House of Lords
Seerpoohi Elias: Armenian Woman and the First Chief Justice of New Zealand
The "Koltso" operation of deportation of Armenian villages of Artsakh
Armenian Values and Upbringing Always Helped Me: Paul Ignatius, Former US Navy Minister
Trump Nominates Patrick Hovakimian as National Intelligence General Counsel
Armenians Caused the Coronavirus to Plague Us: Garo Paylan Raised the Issue of Attack on Armenian Church in Turkey
David Tukhmanov, Armenian, Author of the Best Victory Day Song
How Can the Armenian Genocide Be Forgotten? Russian TV Journalist to Ukrainian Politician
Azerbaijan Informed neither Armenia, nor International Organizations about the Military Exercises: RA Defense Ministry Spokesperson
Armenia’s MFA Should Explain why It’s Partners which Have Always Taken a Neutral Position on the Armenian Genocide Issue, Now Take Pro-Turkish Stance
Wind: 6 km/h