Kurds in Syria Call on US Support to Rein in Turkish Operations
Kurdish forces in Syria have called on the United States to do more to stop Turkey's assault on Afrin, DW reports.
Syria's Kurdish militias have grown frustrated with the United States and its stance over the assault by Turkish forces in Afrin, on mainly Kurdish areas of northwestern Syria near the Turkish border.
Turkey began an offensive, dubbed Operation Olive Branch, on January 20 with the stated aim of hitting positions held by the Kurdish People's Protection Units (YPG) and "Islamic State" militants, although IS is not known to have a presence in Afrin. Turkey, a NATO ally of the United States, views the main Kurdish militia as an extension of the Kurdish insurgency it has battled for decades.
The offensive has so far killed more than 60 civilians and dozens of fighters on both sides.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said the operation will be expanded to other areas, including Manbij, where American forces are stationed with Kurdish militia.
- US Giving Daesh Safe Passage in East Syria under Gold Deal: Local Sources Information suggest that the US forces in the Syrian al-Jazeera area made a deal with Daesh terrorists, by which Washington gets tens of tons of gold that the terror organization had stolen in exchange...
- Trump Says 'Erdogan Can Eradicate' any IS Group Left in Syria US President Donald Trump said his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan assured him that any remaining of Islamic State group fighters in Syria will be eliminated.
- US Announces Death of ISIS Leader in Afghanistan “We must ensure terrorists can never use Afghanistan as a safe haven,” Miller told officials at the ceremony, according to Stars and Stripes.
- Pentagon Chief Urges Turkey to Stay Focused on Fighting Islamic State Relations between the United States and Turkey, allies within the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, have become frayed by their diverging interests in the Syrian civil war.
- Turkey Suspected in Recruiting Ex-Isis Fighters Against Kurds in Afrin An estimated 6,000 Turkish troops and 10,000 Free Syrian Army (FSA) militia crossed into Syria on 20 January, pledging to drive the YPG out of Afrin.
- ''The Olive Branch'': Ankara Will Not Reconsider its Policy against the Kurds due to International Community's Concerns Due to the developments in Afrin, many Italian political figures have opposed Erdoğan's visit today. The leader of the Left Party of Italy, Nicola Fratognani, urged the authorities of the country ''not...
- Karen Karapetyan Meets with Iraqi Kurdistan Prime Minister Nechirvan Barzani The parties discussed possibilities and prospects for strengthening and developing bilateral economic ties. Prime Minister Barzani assured of their willingness to deepen cooperation with Armenia and boost...
- Two Turkish Soldiers Killed in Kurdish Attack in Southeast Another soldier was wounded in the attack which took place as the troops were carrying out security operations.
- Will the US Suspend Military Assistance to the Syrian Kurds? So, if in reality, the US is not going to suspend the military assistance to the Kurds, what is the disseminated news conditioned by?
- 15 German Police Officers Injured Dispersing Kurdish Rally in Dusseldorf Fifteen officers and at least three demonstrators were injured in the scuffles that ensued after the police moved to disperse a rally.
- Local Election Results May Push Erdogan to New Measures International mass-media described the Turkish local elections as the start of Erdogan's major political downturn and suffering.
- Spring Aggravation: Washington And Ankara Set Ultimatum to Each Other Washington and Ankara have begun talking to each other with ultimatum terms.
- INSIGHT From Yerevan: Turkey Local Election Results “Insight from Yerevan: Realpolitik” hosts Varuzhan Geghamyan, Turkologist, YSU Oriental Studies faculty lecturer, to sum up March 31 Turkey local election results.
- Erdogan's "Measures" Did Not Yield Desired Results: Local Elections in Turkey The local elections proceeded in a tensed atmosphere, with incidents, firing bullets at the polling stations. Total 310 incidents were recorded leaving 4 casualties and 73 units.
- Erdogan Loses Hold over Turkish Capital Erdogan, who has dominated Turkish politics since coming to power 16 years ago and ruled his country with an ever tighter grip, campaigned relentlessly for two months ahead of Sunday’s vote, which he...
- ''Today, We Commemorate the Meds Yeghern''- Donald Trump We recall the contributions of generous Americans who helped save lives and rebuild Armenian communities.
- Bolton Urges Iran to Change Its Behavior Bolton tweeted: "The Iranian regime should understand that it must change its behavior now or continue to pay the cost for its destabilizing behavior, which only hurts the Iranian people."
- Trump Vetoes Bill to End US Involvement in Yemen War Congress had earlier voted to invoke the War Powers Resolution to try and stop US involvement in a foreign conflict.
- The Deep Chill in U.S.-Russian Relations is Stirring Concern The deep chill in U.S.-Russian relations is stirring concern in some quarters that Washington and Moscow are in danger of stumbling into an armed confrontation that, by mistake or miscalculation, could...
- Congresswoman Urges Kim Kardashian to Press Trump to Recognize Armenian Genocide Congresswoman Jackie Spier, who has Armenian roots, has called on Armenian Americans to tweet to Kim Kardashian to press President Trump to properly condemn and commemorate the Armenian Genocide.
Sri Lanka Revises Bombings Death Toll Down by 100
Macron Responds to Yellow Vests With Promise of Tax Cuts, Higher Pensions
Armenia to Expand Cooperation with China in Forest Restoration, Environment Monitoring and Ecotourism Fields
Powerful Cyclone Hits Mozambique
Armenia's Prime Minister Receives First Deputy Mayor of Lyon Georges Kepenekian
Armenia Intends to Continue to Make its Feasible Contribution to the UN-Sanctioned Peacekeeping Undertakings: Armenia's Defense Minister
Garo Paylan Calls on the Turkish Parliament to Hold Parliamentary Discussion on Armenian Genocide
Sri Lanka Suicide Bomber Was Previously Arrested, Father in Custody
The Artsakh Delegation Participated in the Events Dedicated to the 104th Anniversary of the Armenian Genocide Held in Uruguay
Muslims Hiding in Sri Lanka As Tensions Rise After Bombings
Qatar Has Funded Dozens of Mosques and Islamic Center Projects in Europe
The World Must Speak Out: Pashinyan Slams Erdogan's Hate Speech
Recognition Path of the Armenian Genocide Through 2018-2019
The Armenian People Have Voiced Their Vision of Settlement of Artsakh Issue
Netanyahu: I Will Name a Golan Town After Trump
Armen Sarkissian Discussed with Philanthropists George and Caroline Najarians Possibilities of Implementing Charity Programs in Gyumri
INSIGHT FROM YEREVAN: The Legal Aspects of the Armenian Genocide
Turkish Presidency Communications Director Calls on the Global Armenian Community to Visit the Site of Akhtamar Church
Putin: North Korea Wants to Denuclearize But Needs Security Guarantees
Macron Will Announce a Package of Measures That Could Include Lower Taxes
My Family Was Always Proud of its Armenian Heritage: James Bagian - The Only Armenian in the World, who Has Traveled into Space (EXCLUSIVE)
Who is Zahran Hashim, Alleged Mastermind of One of the Sri Lanka Attacks?
Sarkis Torossian, Armenian Hero of Gallipoli Campaign
Eurovision 2019 to Be Canceled?
It Is a Crime that Turkey Doesn't Want to Return Mount Ararat to Armenians: Zhirinovsky
Armenian Community Has Been Deeply Moved by the Fire of Notre Dame Cathedral: Daniele Cazarian - French Deputy of Armenian Origin (EXCLUSIVE)
More Than 70 American Lawmakers Seek US Official Recognition of Armenian Genocide with New Resolution
Assyrian New Year Stands For Nature Revival And Fertility: Interview With Arsen Mikhailov (EXCLUSIVE)
In Case of Attempts by Azerbaijan to Resolve the Conflict by Force, Artsakh has Every Right to Protect its Freedom and Independence. Artsakh's MFA
It is Not Artsakh Issue, It is All-Armenian Issue: Artsakh Republic National Assembly MP Vardges Baghryan (EXCLUSIVE)
Wind: 5 km/h