The International Focus on German-Turkish Talks
German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s visit to Turkey the other day resulted in large international discussions and different reactions from the global mass media.
Most of the European sources insist that Merkel’s mission to Turkey was unaccomplished and that she returned empty handed to Germany.
''The German leader traveled to Turkey to nudge Ankara into fulfilling its commitments under a €3 billion deal agreed with the EU in November to stop refugees from heading to Europe,'' Politico journal writes, ''Instead, she found herself confronted with fresh complications and new demands from Ankara''.
Merkel and Turkish PM Ahmet Davutoglu's efforts to deal with the refugee crisis came as fresh attacks by Syrian President Bashar al-Assad forces and Russian bombing raids on the Syrian city of Aleppo left about 35,000 Syrians stranded at the Turkish border, Deutschland explains the situation, quoting Merkel's words: "We are appalled by the human suffering caused by the bombings - also from the Russian side."
Both the German and Turkish leaders called for a rapid end the action against Aleppo, with Davutoglu describing it "now as a major priority." He said Moscow airstrikes "showed how insincere Russia is." Merkel said the Russian activity contravened a UN resolution which seeks to prevent attacks on civilians.
Turkish Hürriyet echoes the German one blaming Russia and Moscow in the current tension of the region, quoting in turn Davutoglu's words: ''Obviously, as always, we will provide for our Syrian brothers and accept them when necessary,'' he said, while however, cautioning that ''no one should assume that just because Turkey is taking in all the refugees that it should be expected to shoulder the refugee issue alone.''
As for Recep Tayyip Erdoghan, Turkey’s President, he told that meetings with Chancellor Merkel have become more frequent lately which quite good.
In response to all these meetings and talks, Russian side seems to be very dissatisfied and angry.
As the Russian TASS Agency suggests, German Chancellor Angela Merkel intentionally criticized Russia’s activities in Syria during her visit to Turkey.
"Of course, the place where it was said is also important. Angela Merkel understands perfectly that Turkish-Russian relations have been strained to the maximum," Alexey Pushkov, the head of the Russian State Duma Committee for Foreign Affairs said adding that the German chancellor was still holding a tough and non-constructive stance on Russia.
- Russian Parliament Backs Changes In Constitution Constitutional changes allowing Vladimir Putin to run for president again in 2024 sailed through Russia’s lower house of parliament on Wednesday, opening the way for him to potentially stay in power...
- Russian Government Resigns President Vladimir Putin thanked Dmitry Medvedev’s government for its work.
- Former Moscow Mayor Yury Luzhkov Dies Yury Luzhkov, the former mayor of Moscow, has died Tuesday at age 83, a source close to him told Interfax.
- House Majority Leader Hoyer Statement on Protests in Moscow I call on the Russian authorities to release political prisoners.
- Trump Says He will Meet Russia’s Putin at G-20 Summit Next Week In an interview on Fox News, Trump said he would hold meetings with Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping. Trump confirmed earlier this week he would be meeting with Xi.
- Status of Hagia Sophia Can Be Changed by Presidential Decree The pro-government press points out, however, that in the event of a positive proposal, it is assumed that the first prayer will be held on July 15, the fourth anniversary of the failed coup attempt, which...
- Greece Urges Turkey to Keep Hagia Sophia as Museum "Hagia Sophia is a world heritage monument... Many countries, culminating in the intervention of the U.S State Department, highlighted this very point, urging Turkey not to take steps which would create...
- Anti-Armenian Turkish Politician Elected President of 75th UN General Assembly "When he was chair of the foreign relations committee of the Turkish parliament and minister for relations with the European Union, he would make anti-Armenian statements. As minister for European Union...
- Turkey Launches Ground Operation Against Kurdish Militants in Northern Iraq "Our commandos have been deployed to the region [of Haftanin, northern Iraq]," the ministry said, noting that the new military operation dubbed Claw-Tiger is supported by the Air Force, ATAK helicopters,...
- Turkey, Russia, Iran to Hold 5th Summit on Syria The summit aims at assessing the latest developments in war-weary Syria -- northwestern Idlib city in particular -- ending the conflict climate, ensuring the necessary conditions for the voluntary return...
- European Union Launches “Team Europe” Package to Support Partner Countries with More than €20 Billion: Reuters Most of the money is being reallocated from other, less urgent EU foreign aid schemes in the EU’s common budget, but Borrell said the European Investment Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and...
- The Guardian: EU Leaders Clash Over Economic Response to Coronavirus Crisis Meeting via a video link, the EU’s 27 leaders papered over deep divisions by agreeing that another fortnight was needed to discuss ambitious economic recovery plans. After a testy debate over "coronabonds",...
- CNBC: Nine European Countries Say it is Time for "Corona Bonds" as Virus Death Toll Rises Corona bonds are a controversial issue that has been dividing the 27-country region. Conservative policymakers in countries such as Germany, the Netherlands and Austria are often wary of the idea of issuing...
- Cyber Rapid Response Team Established by Six EU Countries Formed by civilian and military experts, the CRRTs will join neutralisation and investigation of dangerous cyber incidents virtually or, if necessary, physically.
- Ireland Will Hold General Election On February 8 Ireland will hold a general election on Saturday February 8, 2020, Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has confirmed, Euronews reports.
- EU Countries Who Refuse To Host Refugees Could Pay More For Projects EU countries who refuse to host refugees could instead pay more for EU migration and development projects in Africa, said the head of the European Parliament, Reuters reports.
- Italy Tells Rescue Ships not to Help Refugees in Peril at Sea Officials said the vessels – carrying people from North Africa to Europe – were all in Libyan waters and, therefore, Libyan responsibility.
- EU Leaders Fail on Migration After the meeting, German Chancellor Angela Merkel told reporters that the bloc had a hard job ahead of it to reform asylum rules by a deadline of June next year.
- Is the Construction of Walls by Turkey Also Beneficial for the EU? It is noteworthy that the idea of building walls by Turkey was not criticized by the EU, which, based on its values, has always been in favor of open borders with neighbors, cross-border cooperation.
- Rome Asks to Stop Sending Immigrants to the City According to polls, about half of Italians do not want immigrants to come to their country.
- S-400 System May be Delivered to Turkey on Tuesday, Newspaper Says The S-400 system was loaded onto two cargo planes on Monday night. The planes are expected to depart for Turkey from an airbase near the Russian city of Tver on Tuesday, Haberturk added.
- Suspension of Turkey’s NATO Membership is Not Realistic in the Near Future The US and NATO have been against the purchase of Russian S -400 "Triumph" anti-aircraft systems since December 2017, the signing of the respective Turkey-Russia agreement.
- Turkey-Russia: What Does Their Recent Rapprochement Mean? Thematic coverage of Russia-Turkey bilateral negotiations can be divided into two broader groups: military-political and economic one.
- Russia-Turkey Ties Grow Stronger Despite Attempts to Spoil Them: Erdogan Ankara and Moscow on Tuesday signed a number of agreements, including in the areas of communications, sports and social policy.
- Putin, Rohani, Erdogan To Meet In Turkey On April 4 A day ahead of the summit, Putin and Erdogan are scheduled to meet in bilateral talks in the Turkish capital as part of the Turkish-Russian High-Level Cooperation Council.
Nikol Pashinyan Congratulates Jean Castex on his Appointment to the Post of Prime Minister of the French Republic
Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Artsakh Masis Mayilian Held a Meeting With Minister of Foreign Affairs of Armenia Zohrab Mnatsakanyan
I Should Highlight the High Pace and Quality in the Development of Armenia’s Armed Forces: PM Meets with MoD and AF Leadership
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Artsakh Republic President Made New Appointments
Artsakh Republic President Received Foreign Minister of the Republic of Armenia Zohrab Mnatsakanyan
Narek Harutyunyan Appointed Deputy Prosecutor-General of the Artsakh Republic
The Authorities of the Republic of Artsakh Confirm Their Determination to Seek the Restoration of the Territorial Integrity of the Republic: Artsakh MFA
Nikol Pashinyan Conveys Congratulations to Donald Trump
Armenia Records 27900 Confirmed Coronavirus Cases
Rare celestial event ‘planet parade’ to occur after 37 yrs
Commemoration of Sts. Tiridates, King of Armenia, Queen Ashkhen and Princess Khosrovidoukht
Anouch Toraninan Elected Head of 15th Arrondissement of Paris
Lithuanian President’s Wife Sends Gifts to Armenian Children Infected with Covid-19 (VIDEO)
Su-30SM Fighter Jets Destroyed All Air Targets: Pashinyan (video)
Ararat Mirzoyan Held Telephone Conversation with Chairman of Russian State Duma
Artsakh President Convoked a Consultation on the Defense Army Officers' Housing Issues
5 Day Weather Forecast in Armenia
Ararat Mirzoyan Has a Telephone Talk with Speaker of RF FA Council Federation Valentina Matviyenko
President Sarkissian Sent a Congratulatory Message to Alexander Lukashenko on the Occasion of the Independence Day of Belarus
Karen Bekaryan: Nikol Pashinyan Has Forgotten that His Mission Is to Represent and Advocate the Interests of His Country
''Nasty Armenian'': Turkish Singer Sued for Insulting Armenians in a Post Addressed to Kim Kardashian
Reddit Cofounder Alexis Ohanian Resigns from Board, Urges Seat Be Filled by Black Candidate
Armenia’s Government Should Oppose Turkey Attempts to Take Over Armenian Properties in Jerusalem
Greek Defence Minister: Turkey’s Behaviour is Aggressive But Our Powerful Armed Forces is a Deterrent
Government Approves 22nd Anti-Crisis Program: Unemployed Citizens to Receive Lump-Sum Assistance at the Rate of the Minimum Wage
Turkey Drew Up Plans to Invade Greece and Armenia: Jerusalem Post
ANCA Calls for Robust US Funding for Artsakh
Comment by the Spokesperson of the MFA of Armenia Anna Naghdalyan on the Remarks of the President of Azerbaijan During the Opening on N Military Unit
Armenia PM: Constitutional Court President will be Dismissed, Powers of CC Members will Terminate in a Few Hours
Wind: 12 km/h